Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Hydrated Lime toxic?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:31 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hydrated Lime toxic?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:04 pm 
Nifty Duck
Nifty Duck

I recently bought what I was told was hydrated lime to sweeten the odour in my chook house. Today when I went to research amounts to apply ....and to double check that chooks can eat it as mine will no doubt peck around in their litter as chooks do... I was disturbed to find references to hydrated lime as highly toxic (used in fact to dissolve dead bodies)

I am wondering if the lime we should be referring to and advising folk to use with chooks is actually Garden or Dolomite Lime and not hydrated?

articles attached...

Attachments:
bb0509p058-059_lim[1].pdf [162.92 KiB]
Downloaded 11 times
Hydrated Lime[1].pdf [58.37 KiB]
Downloaded 10 times

Post subject: Re: Hydrated Lime toxic?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:21 pm 
Golden Magpie
Golden Magpie

i use hydrated lime on my floors. my floors are concrete, covered with shavings and often in the wet season (like storms and torrential rains from cyclones) the rain floods in. it was an old dairy and the roof leaks and the gutters are rusted. if i do not scatter hydrated lime the place smells of highly potent amonia. also i have at times spread the same hydrated lime in training pens and nests. i have never ever had a bird affected. the risk of respiratory disease from amonia and the consquences to my health far exceeeded any fear of dead birds. within less than a couple of days the sheds smell sweet again.

loosing the odd bird does not worry me and i experiment often. i have never lost one from using hydrated lime and neither have any been ill.

HOWEVER on the other hand i have lost many birds from maldison 50 when the instruction label on the bottle was faulty and if i had had the money i would have sued not to metion the accumulation of the chemical in the fat reserves of animals and humans and the release of them in breast milk. not only that it makes me cringe at how many toxic chemicals people do feed to their birds like antibiotics, vaccines and maldithion. the only care that should be done with hydrated lime is the person should wear a mask due to it blowing everywhere and maybe gloves...it is as bad as spreading human ashes....and i have had the experience of spreading them to but not in my chook shed as i am sure my son would have been most irrate at me if i had.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:22 pm 
Golden Magpie
Golden Magpie

see this topic:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8006319

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:37 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Like anything , its all a matter of how much and how you use it (water is toxic if you consume enough of it). When lime is reccomended for use it is usually a hand sprinkle (wearing gloves) over the surface and then covered with turned over soil or with another substrate. Noone is suggesting that it should be laid an inch thick and the chooks walk directly through it. Done correctly, your chickens and yourself have less exposure to toxic lime then your average bricklayer does before smoko.

Breeder of Exotic waterfowl, wild type Muscovy, Phoenix, Polish, Showgirl bantams and Yokohama Fowls.