Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Ultrasonic Rat Repellent

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:08 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ultrasonic Rat Repellent
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:48 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi there,

has anyone used Ultrasonic rat repellers? I have tried everything else and no luck. The rats are getting out of control and I was wondering if anyone has had any luck with these?

Apparently they have been banned in the USA because they don't work, but there seems to be differing opinions.

Thanks,

Andy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:20 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi Andy, I was also tempted to purchase one of these rat/snake repellants just recently, but after looking around on the net on ratings and other people's opinions I have decided they don't seem to be worth it. Sorry couldn't be any further help and just my opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:39 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

I bought one about 10 years ago after seeing it advertised on tv.

They dont work.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:54 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Thanks!
Just started wondering if I buy one...
I won't.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:51 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

However, the electronic rat killers do, apparently, work - if that's any help.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:26 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Yea they are snake oil, I get rat problems once a year when winter hits they come in from the scrub and hide in my shed and the only thing I find works and isn't painstakenly time consuming is rat bait, which within a week they are all dead.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:31 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I did a lot of web searching and found a LOT of pretty ordinary and dissatisfied reviews on the ELECTRONIC RAT KILLERS.
I had ultrasonic ones for mice - useless.

I also had a giant rat mess. I did not know how many rats, but the shed I had brooded chickens in and then left (with spilled feed and brooder litter) with was COVERED in rat poo.
It's right near house and cat catched rats, so no baits could be used.
I tried the cement and flour mix with a bit of salt - don't know whether it worked. It certainly got eaten and I found one or two dead rats. But there was also a goodly amount of rat poo with cement and flour in in - ompletely different colour and was very obvious. So if it passed through that doesn't seem like it killed them by setting like a stone in their gut.

Also made mistake of leaving car window open one night. (in adjacent shed).
Next time used car it smelled ratty - on inspection found rat poo on car (plus of course all the food containers etc in car doesn't help!!)

Tried leaving doors opened and car parked in open overnight, but they didn;t leave.

Decided to buy a really expensive conventional trap ($35 form our expensive small town hardware). Extremely easy/safe for self to set it but still has a hair trigger. Put that in car with peanut paste - GOTCHA!
BUT... more rat poo - can't believe it - there are 2 rats in car. In the end there were 5 rats in car!.

Back to the shed, I decided I'd bit the buillet, clean the shed out and use ordinary traps. I bought 10 not-quite ordinary rat traps, a couple of dollars each. (I assumed I was going to have to trap about 100 rats and thought one trap was not going to keep up with their breeding rate!) The trigger was similar but not quite same as old fashioned traps. But really hard to set without it going off - absolute hair triggers.

Well surprisingly I only caught about 3 or 4 rats in shed - traps are still out there set. Maybe the cement mix did get rid of a lot, or else a few rats can make a big mess over a few months.

I'm now going to set some down in my poultry sheds. Obviously I need to put them in a non-poultry accessible area - they'd break your finger (and a chooks neck) if caught in the trap.

My suggestion now is to buy el cheapo traps but buy quite a few of them. I also tried drums and water and spinning tins with no catches.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:29 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks for your replies.

I have tried conventional traps with peanut butter and chocolate, neither or which has caught rat. Rat bait does not get eaten either.

The reason I was considering the ultrasonic device was because nothing else was working.

I'm not sure what else to do.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:42 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I wonder why conventional traps are not working??
Is there some other easier/plentiful source of food (e.g. chook food)?
Is the trap not touchy enough - is the peanut butter getting eaten and trap not going off? (that's why I bought slightly different traps with much better triggers)
Has the trap been set and left repeatedly, not just once or twice. (1 trap for a few nights isn't enough I've found)

Rat bait?
I recently used the racumin sachets (like a tea bag with rat bait in them).
Much more expensive, but I could easily tell if being eaten and I could place bait in selected spots (eg up on top of cupboard, next to power board etc in my shearing shed, and know dogs couldn't get and I could monitor it.
I was putting out 3 baits a day and they were disappearing and over 2 weeks they stopped being eaten. I liked it, but very dear.

I used loose bromakil down in my hay shed where dogs can't get into. Just in a container, topped up each day as required. also gradually stopped being eaten over 2 weeks.

I haven't tried my chook area yet, but suspect it may be difficult with all the food around.

The cement and flour was easy to do, and they were definitely eating it - it would disappear, but don't know whether it killed them or not.

I set up 6 x 20 litre round-up drums, top cut out, wire across gap, through a tin can with peanut butter smeared. Failed - rats could actually reach the tin and peanut butter from the side. Still sounds sensible, but need a wider mouth container. (i.e. bucket wouldn't be wide enough either).

My cat does catch them too, but not fastenough. Maybe now I've dropped numbers with traps he cats can keep up. That's what I have them for.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:16 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hello,

I have called into your hard ware shop in Guyra,and left them the price list for my traps. I have rat traps that you can set one handed, and they break rats necks. They do not cost $35 ! Ask them to call me, or ask the manager of Elders down the road to get some more in.

Cheers,
Peter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:11 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

infoaddict wrote:
However, the electronic rat killers do, apparently, work - if that's any help.

The electronic traps work very well - I have 8 of the Rat Zapper deluxes around the yard. Buy the more expensive version - the savings in batterries alone pay for themselves in 6 months. Also, but them from the US - they are up to $20 cheaper per unit even with freight factored in.

Breeder of Exotic waterfowl, wild type Muscovy, Dutch bantams, Phoenix and Yokohama Fowls.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:16 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

pete152 wrote:
Hello,

I have called into your hard ware shop in Guyra,and left them the price list for my traps. I have rat traps that you can set one handed, and they break rats necks. They do not cost $35 ! Ask them to call me, or ask the manager of Elders down the road to get some more in.

Cheers,
Peter

There are some neat things on your site. Expect an order very soon.

Breeder of Exotic waterfowl, wild type Muscovy, Dutch bantams, Phoenix and Yokohama Fowls.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:51 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

DannyB wrote:
pete152 wrote:
Hello,

Cheers,
Peter

There are some neat things on your site. Expect an order very soon.

No worries, you can call in and have a look at what we have as well. We are on the north side of Brisbane, at Kedron .

The electronic mouse traps seem to work ok, they use them a lot in Alice Springs. But I have heard from America that some have caused fires, but they did not tell me which ones! So we do not stock any of them.

Cheers,
Peter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:37 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Does anyone know of a dog safe rat repeller, like a sound one? I think we have rats living under our decking after a previous neighbor had created the perfect breeding ground in their garden :( I'd rather not kill them but my husband dais he hasn't found one that doesn't also affect dogs. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:12 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

In a six year jump, nothing has much changed. More people seem to be using poison bait as all the gimmicks are becoming proven (as someone in this thread mentioned) to be snake oil. Seems with reducing mouse and rat numbers, the results are in direct proportion to the amount of effort put into it. Cleaning up, setting traps, putting bait out safely. Not relying on one method or expecting some quick and simplistic and probably expensive gimmick to be the answer.

Richard.j, there are no rat repellers, they are a very intelligent little animal, not fooled by gimmicks as easily as people are.