Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Coco Coir

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:42 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Coco Coir
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:35 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Give it chance to soak in. It can take a while.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:04 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

The bricks in the puddles had done their job, a few could have done with 2 bricks, but in the lowest corner the big block and a couple of bricks didn't make a scrap of difference.

They didn't create as much mulch as I thought they would, but once it dries out a bit I'll have plenty for the garden.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:26 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

WARNING ABOUT COCO COIR: I was panning to use coconut coir in the enclosure I'm building for my new chickens, but the breeder has just told me not to use this under any circumstances, to the point that they wouldn't sell me the chickens until I promised not to use this in the coop. He explained that it gets stuck in their cobs and can kill them, with several cases coming in to them needing surgery to remove the coir to save the birds.... Has anyone had any experience of this?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:44 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Does anyone use raw wool in nests? - from sheep or alpacas or goats? I'm thinking of trying it from bags of the off-cut bits from the edges that get thrown out - and then putting it into the compost as and if it gets dirty in nest boxes. I don't think they'd ingest it to get stuck in their crops - will keep an eye on feet in case it catches on toes. Not that I have that many sheepies etc, but there always seem to be odd bags of fleece bits around - I talk about using it to make felt but don't get around to it.

On the coconut stuff, I know I read something years ago about it being very good to use in pens (probably this five year old thread), but have not tried it. Haven't heard any negatives about it though until the advice RozyJ has passed on.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:33 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

I wonder what effect the lanolin in wool would have. I have seen ferrets that looked like greased rats after being given raw wool in their nest box.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:16 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Interesting, hadn't thought of that. Chooks probably don't roll around and play with their bedding the way ferrets do. If it mildly coated the hens' legs over time we could have invented a new anti-scaly leg mites treatment to compete with Vaseline. That would be sheep's wool. Alpaca fleece does not contain any lanolin, could try that instead - or a couple of each for comparison.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:20 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

I haven't heard of coco coir getting stuck in chooks' crops, but they will try to eat just about anything so it's feasible.

I would suspect that wool nests would get pretty manky quite fast, and may not keep eggs as clean as you'd hope as a result.

Nicely greased eggs though ...