Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - How do I get chickens to start laying again after brooding?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:57 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:02 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi. I have four chickens 18 months old, two of whom have just gotten over their first brooding phase. I should have isolated them, but didn't. Now the problem is: no one is laying.
I used to get 4-5 eggs every day, now I get one, plus - for the last two days - another shell-less egg.
I assume the same hen is laying the daily egg, and the same hen is laying the shell-less version.
Any ideas? I've thought about pretending we were starting from the very beginning (before they started laying) and putting mock eggs in their nest to 'trick' them. Not sure if that's going to work.
Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:15 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

The shell-less egg should be one of your brooders starting up again. They will lay when they are good and ready, but you can encourage them by making sure they have good food with a high protein content and access to shell grit. They can loose condition whilst brooding and you need to get their condition back up again for them to lay.

My girls started about ten days after de-brooding, courtesy of mamma hen bringing eight teenage chicks into the pen during free-range time and annoying the begurk out of them.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:31 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

It is possible too that they will go into moult.

If not give them plenty of vitamin packed feed, good protien etc, but as shairlyn said, they will lay when they are ready.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:37 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

Lacy makes a very good point. They can go into moult after brooding, in which case they may not lay for some time, even not until next season.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:51 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thanks for the hints. Yes, they are on the top grade of pellet and we also give them lots of fresh bits, including protein.
And the moulting explains the profusion of feathers lately.
Thanks for that, I won't stress any more! :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:54 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

We give our girls chopped up lambsfry (liver) when we're trying to debroody them and get them back into laying. One liver lasts about 4days between 12 hens. Also we make a point of mowing the grass and locking the broody girls out of the pen and away from the nests, so they have a marvellous time foraging and seem to forget about sitting on eggs ...

It is gruesome cutting the liver up, but I have found out if I give the butcher a half dozen eggs he'll do it for me!