Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - What vaccinations chooks need, where to obtain and cost.

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:07 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:55 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hey all, just read the "what to do when calender" thread and it reminded me to ask
about vaccines.

I was just wondering what vaccinations chooks need to get to be sold, what age they get them at, where to get them from and how much do they cost?

I bring this up as to sell some of the older bubs to a local feedbarn the chooks need to be vaccinated and I'm not sure what vaccines to get or have a idea how much it will set me back. I'd forgotten to bring this up until now.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:42 am 
Golden Pekin
Golden Pekin

There aren't any actual laws about vaccinating chicks for sale, but re-sellers or produce stores may have rules about what they will accept (as you have found). Generally, vaccines need to be given when the chick hatches (ie at day old) and before it has had contact with any other birds (other tha hatch mates). Some vaccines are given in water, some via a dropper into the eye. Most vaccines can only be bought in bulk, which makes it tricky (expensive) for people doing it on a small scale. But it may certainly be a viable thing for you. It's hard to summarise the info about vacicnations but here is a thread that may be useful: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7975380 :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:12 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks, haven't finished reading all of the links but some of the essentials that were mentioned I already have are a sulpha remedy, lice and mite spray, liquid vitamens and worming mix as well as the recipe for a electrolyte mix.

I already knew about the dye stuff (Blu-kote) to stop pecking (could use that Cetrigen stuff for that instead), just didn't know it's name.
Already have clippers, sharp scissors, duct tape, vasiline, disposable gloves and guaze.

Things still to obtain will be some Cetrigen/Riteaid/LOTAGEN for wounds, some tetracycline for pink eye or teramycin spray, that moxidectin sounds good instead of my current wormer as does that calcium alginate dressing, I might stick with Betadine instead of that povidone stuff.

I didn't know about the use of the olive oil for blockages and epsom salts for ingestion or a warm salt bath for laying issues, abdominal swelling and irritated skin.

I don't think I'll be keeping the birds long enough to need a calcium supplement but will add in the 2 that were mentioned in here for future reference: Soluvet, Calcivet.

1 other thing that I found in a different post was using garlic bulbs in the water to discourage mozzies.

Vaccines found I might need were the (I will get more specific info on what vaccines are needed to sell older bubs) :

ILT vaccine for day olds
Vaxsafe® MG (Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) related Chronic Respiratory Disease (CRD))
Intervet Nobilis® Fowl Pox Vaccine
That Tablet form for Marek's disease from Forte Dodge sounds cheaper and more affordable than the ampule form.
Still to do more reading up on the others that were listed as I will only
be keeping chicks for up to 6 weeks old with plenty getting sold as day olds.

Will also contact the local hatchery that's here to see how much it costs to get the birds vaccinated out there, might save a bit of money.

I'll add that contacts list thread in here for future reference as well.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8459

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:14 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Ok, been doing a little bit of looking around for cheaper alternatives to
some of the meds etc and have possibly found a few, here they are, what do ya's reckon:

Bartfletche 250 ml, excellent product 100% natural substitute for antibiotics. Very effective against trichomonads, coccidia, stomach and intestinal infections as well as problems in the plumage, also a curative and preventive effect against fungi.

worming tablets for Roundworm, Hairworm and Tapeworm
Might stick to the one I already use as it's cheaper.

Eye and ear treatments:

Eye and ear cream for treatment of eye and ear infections in pidgeons and birds

an antibacterial a cure for eyes which have been pecked at a treatment for swollen eyelids

Treatment of coccidiosis, trichomonades and hexamites (canker) and other:

Preventive and curing in case of coccidiosis, hexamitiasis, some bacterial infections of crop and intestinals. Stimulates downfeather fall, purifies and improves digestion.]

This combitablet is highly suitable for the treatment of coccidiosis trichomonades and hexamites (canker).

Second option

Intestinal and respiratory diseases:

highly efficient in treatment of sudden acute infectious diseases either intestinal or respiratory

A single bottle

For the treatment of Respiratory tract infections Chronic respiratory problems Ornithosis Mycomplasmosis

Treatment and prevention of Ornithosis mycoplasmosis coryza

Digestive problems:
Prevents hepatic and digestive problems corrects the fat excesses in the liver

Ones I'm not sure are cheaper than the normal product or not:

A powdered calcium supplement with added vitamin D3

A 50ml calcium and phophorus supplement

Bird Liquid Calcium and D3 supplement 125ml

60ml gm Zoo Med Avian Safe 2.25oz Bird Water Conditioner Electrolytes Calcium

ZOO MED AVIAN CALCIUM CARBONATE 3 OZ HEALTH

Cetrigen 500ml Antiseptic Insect Repellent Wound Spray Cetrigen 100g Aerosol Antibacterial Wound Spray

This one isnt cheaper just of interest is for the treatment of Ornithosis Complex

*links altered by Admin*

Last edited by Bower bird on Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:27 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Hi Bower Bird,

It sounds like you are doing some very thorough preparations there.

With regard to vaccinations, usually those who do it only do those things which are of local concern. For those in warm, damp areas that usually includes fowlpox and MD. Some will do one of the resp range but it is not common. All vaccinations are expensive and inconvenient so most backyard breeders don't do it.

With regard to the other medications in the ebay links, I didn't look at them all but the ones I did look at were from Spain. The medications included constituents that are schedule four for Australia and can only be obtained by prescription. It's illegal to import them from overseas sellers and the parcel would probably be intercepted and confiscated anyway. It's highly likely to be an expensive and illegal waste of money.

Why do you need a lot of this type of medication? How many birds do you plan to have? If you are planning a large concern and you do need/want prescription meds, you might be better off finding a good local vet either avian or general and developing a good relationship there. Vets cost a lot of money but so do medications that you may never need.

Feather Clubs Association of Qld

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:53 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks, I thought it was a bit weird to find the vet kind of stuff on ebay, will have to pass on a few of them then, the worming stuff and antibacterial ointments shouldn't be schedule 4 hopefully as you can normally get those from petstores.

Wasn't going to buy all of them lol, there were multiple ones I listed that did the same things, just put up to make it easier to compare the prices than checking through them in my watchlist.
Just covering all bases to see what ones ya's reckon I'll need, as you said I will likely only need 2 of the vaccines to meet the requirements of the feedbarn that need's older bubs vaccinated, the rest of the stuff I'm fine for (worming, sulpha remedy, mites and lice).

Might still be able to just get it done out of the hatchery, am still in info retrieval mode.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:26 pm 
Nifty Duck
Nifty Duck

As CO7 said you don't need all that stuff, Sulfa3 for cocci etc, I only use Teramycin, use it on all the animals, don't need both Cetrigen and that, just have one or the other, Moxidectin, alternate with another wormer, I use Big L or whatever cattle pour on we have on hand. I have Oxymav B antibiotics, but they are pretty weak, you need a vet to perscribe anything stronger. I keep syringes handy to medicate straight into the mouth for the ones that get really sick with cocci etc and that's really all I have, med wise, on hand. I can handle most things with that and good husbandry. As for vaccinations, the produce/pet stores need them fully vaccinated around here to sell them, if they arn't they won't and can get into trouble for it. How they can tell is a whole other issue, but if your unvaccinated chicks infect or die of something they are suppose to be vaccinated for then you are liable and I know there are laws about selling sick animals they are bound by. If you can piggy back getting your vaccinations with someone else, like you said, the cost won't be so prohibitive, otherwise they are not cost effective at all for small numbers of chicks. I don't know if you have gone through all yours costs to raise the birds to wholesale them, but I found you would actually loose money, especially if you are using an incubator. How much is the store offering to buy them off you for and at what age?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:31 pm 
Golden Cockatoo
Golden Cockatoo

I'm going to move this to Good Sammy as it is more medically inclined.

NellyG (Mod)