Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Make a Gravity Feeder with PVC Pipe -DIY Project IMAGE HEAVY

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue May 26, 2020 2:50 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:50 pm 
Club Official

This is what we're making:

Well today I went to Bunnings and bought the above items and made a gravity feeder from PVC pipe with the spill-proof outlet. The parts for one feeder cost me about $36.00 which is not super cheap. I think if you were making multiple batches you could bring the price down to between $28 - $30.

This piece is a 100mm sewer t junction and as you can see from the picture half of the flange needs to be removed to provide easy access for the chickens to feed.

The 100-50 reducer allows you to locate the 50mm feeder pipe at the back of the main pipe and join the 50mm pipe to the 100mm main container tube.

The 50mm pipe needs a 45 degree tapered cut on the end to allow the feed to spill out into the feeder tray area. I made its length so that when it was installed its longest point it sat level with the lip of the bottom flange as can be seen in the following pictures. The length of this piece will affect the level of food in your feeder.

When fitting the pieces together make sure the longest part of the small pipe is closest to the back of the feeder opposite the opening of the feeder body.

You'll notice that the reducer flange is located to keep the 50mm feeder pipe away from the front of the feeder body where the chickens feed.

I just put everything together without glue to make sure it all worked.

The last thing I did was screw on the bottom flange then tapped the whole contraption on the ground to make it firm.

A one metre length of pipe will hold about 5kg of feed. Once filled you just put the end cap on the top to keep it weather and rat proof.

You can see from this picture how the grain sits in the bottom chamber.

Just in case you were wondering it is always essential to have the helpful services of Bianca. It met with her approval as you can see.

Added note: Storm cover added by fnbroken to his creation:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:51 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Pretty impressive work there Ben, i think i will have to build a few of those myself.
By the way i have the same thing here with my assistant's, Dindi the bullarab who like's to steal whatever i'm working on and patch the jack russell who want's to get inside every thing to see if there's any rat's to be had. :ROFL :ROFL

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:52 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Great work Ben, I have two somewhat similar made by my husband, they work a treat.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:52 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Now he's worked out how to do it, I've put my order in for a couple in each of the big pens. There's seven big runs.

It took about 7 or 8 litres of feed if we go by the bucket size, so I know that we'd need two in each pen to hold enough feed for one day in a grower pen. This home made version holds a bit more than the ebay ones.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:53 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I like it!

See www.bluelacedgold.wordpress.com for details

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:53 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Looks fantastic Ben! I will ask the wife to build me a few.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:54 pm 
Club Official

The birds have no problem feeding from it. I may have to lower the feeder pipe as the feed level in the feeder may be too high. Some of the feed has spilled on the ground. It seems the birds are quite vigorous with their beaks.

Ben

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:55 pm 
Club Official

Hopper in use. You can see some spillage. It probably needs the feeder pipe lowered slightly so the level of feed is lower in the tray itself.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:57 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

These look great! Will be giving one of these a go for sure.

You can save a lot of money on these fittings by going to an online plumbing/irrigation supplies shop.

There is one doing free freight at the moment which is good value.

Im not sure on the rules for posting websites like these, but if you put the bold words into google search....

Greg

EDIT:
http://www.duralirrigation.com.au/onlinestore/
http://www.wetearth.com.au/

Greg's Current Chicken Adventure
Greg's First Chicken Adventure

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:00 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Hi Roostertail,

Im about to build one of these...and was looking online to order the parts...and found this...

Would the same 50mm pipe turned side on, do both sides?

Using the double sided junction can provide twice the eating space for significantly less cost.

Need to look at how I mount these effectively + how to fill them easily.

Thanks

Greg

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:01 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

We have tried a couple of versions ( home made of course ) the first one worked O.K, we used a 90mm storm water pipe with a 90 degree bend then about 150mm straight with a rectangle cut in the top for access to feed, the problem we had with this one was the feed wouldn't pass far enough along after the bend, I highly doubt the pink room one above would be a success, as it is similar principle to ours except ours is much shorter.
We now have the one pictured with the deer eating out of it, this works well except the rotten hens have seed all over the coop floor :aaah!

The idea is good, we just need to find one that has no waste. :thunk

Ben, have you had any spillage with your system ?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:02 pm 
Club Official

Our system has a little spillage, but not noticeably bad. I just lengthened the 50 mm pipe and made the grain level a little lower.

Greg in answer to your question I believe it will work. In essence you are only filling the base. You have just made it accessible to both sides. You may also be able to limit spillage by not removing so much of the underside of the flange on each side. Although this will make it more difficult for the birds to access the feed, it should be less messy.

You will need to make sure the pipe is situated centrally as viewed front on so that the grain spills centrally between both openings. You may also find that you need to have less of an angle on the base of the feeder pipe so that the grain doesn't mound so much. I think if you try a few options before finally gluing your pipes together, you might be happier.

Good luck

Ben

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:03 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Had a go at making one of these today following roostertails instructions...not bad! Heaps better than the green and white bell type units - and half the price too!!

Need to make a few modifications to this one....and then have a go at putting the double header unit together - but im pretty happy!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:04 pm 
Club Official

It looks like you've made a smart looking unit and have it at just the right height for your birds. I'd love to see a picture of your double header unit as well.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:05 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I see that someone has put up a DIY video for a similar feeder on youtube. I think it's someone in the US. The product doesn't look as professional as these, but same idea. It shows just how easy it can be.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next