Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Diet to force chicken into moult - details needed please!

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:42 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:57 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

I have a bantam hen who keeps getting a small prolapse.

:sungs So have decided to confine her to darkened chook house and change her diet to force her into a moult. Give her a rest from laying.

Can anyone provide me with the link to the post where someone spelled out the do's and don't feed rules of a diet to induce a moult? I read a post somewhere where a BYP person posted a list of what you should feed and what you should avoid feeding to the hen you want to go into moult.

I have been searching all the prolapse threads, but I can't find it. :(

Will buy some wheat grain today, but I feel sorry for the girl and I want to give her as varied a diet as possible while still inducing a moult.

Thanks in advance! :th

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:01 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

A forced moult or a controlled moult is achieved by stressing the bird nutritionally and environmentally. Some birds require more stress than others.

Storey's Guides gives the following advice:

Quote:
The safest controlled-molting plan is to confine your flock where the ventilation is good and where you can limit lighting to 8 hours per day. Continue giving hens free-choice water, but discontinue lay ration. Instead, feed oats free choice, along with 224g of scratch per dozen hens per day. Encourage rapid refeathering by including a vitamin/mineral supplement. After 2 weeks, gradually replace the oats with lay ration. At the same time, gradually increase lighting to 15 hours per day. Within about a month, your hens should be back into full production.

P. 130 Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens.

People have successfully used wheat instead of oats. In cases where there's medical urgency involved I would cut the light down a lot further than 8 hours a day. I have kept birds in dimmed light for a few days to kick start the process without harm. The idea is to shock their system into stopping lay and then continue the stress to ensure a moult takes place without harming the bird. Always keep drinking water available. In seems hard but in some cases it can save the life of a bird with a laying disorder.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:32 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

If you want to follow up details of SydneyChicks bird for which she wants this information this is a link to her thread in Good Samaritan Centre - Advice on Health, Medicine & First-Aid:
1st time prolapse - will it necessarily recur?

:-)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:06 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Have a look at this thread too

Forced Moult

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:08 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

I remember reading somewhere that the vet can give an injection to stop laying now for instances of prolapses.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:16 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

This hen has now gone broody. :doh

Not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing.... Details are here if any wise ones feel like sharing some of their experience and advice?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:59 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Canna Kid is right about the injection. If the prolapse is persistant I know that our vets can give an injection that makes them stop laying for on average 6 months. Apparently they have quite a few hens that are taken in twice a year for an injection.
Going broody after a prolapse is great. Makes them stop laying eggs so it gives them time for their body to recover. I would probably wait a few days before I set eggs under her to make sure she is properly settled. Great news the prolapse hasn't come out today :-D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:07 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Obviously she's NOT committed to the idea of being a broody - went and peeked in the house and Dora & Diva are roosting together as per normal. :doh

I took the egg away. I'll see if I can pop into my pet place tomorrow and get some fake eggs.

Used to think that I would never hatch chicks under a broody.... Lol! (Thought it was too much trouble!!)

:rofl:

Right now Im praying for a broody!!