Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Rooster night box anyone?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:21 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:47 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I don't know how you guys are keeping your rooster at night. As for me, I double boxed him. If I can still hear him from inside the house, I'll take him into the garage (effectively triple boxed him).

I use the (black) plastic tub as the first light/sound proof for him. Then put the tub inside the rubbish bin on its side. Don't worry, he has plenty of ventilation. My concern now is on hot days, he may be uncomfortable. Fortunately, he's doesn't crow much mainly after 7am. On once occasion he crowed at around 11pm (probably due to the sensor lights came on).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:45 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Is it for a permanent arrangement or temporary? I think this is ok for a little while or if you are growing him out to eat but it would be nicer to have him in a more comfortable space if it is permanent...
I keep my two roosters (actually three but one is going tomorrow) and all of my hens in a purpose built nightbox/ark with an automatic door which is big, around 1.5x1.5x1.8M. They put themselves away so it is also ok to go away or not be around at bedtime.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:42 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I plan to keep him that way permanently. My rooster is a bantam, the tub is 55L so there's room for him to move around a bit. I still can hear him from inside the house, however, the noise is reduced significantly (not much louder than wild birds).

One thing I've noticed after releasing him back to the coop is he's more sexually aggressive towards the hens :shoc

I put him in the tub around 9pm, release him back to the coop around 8am (week days) and 10am public holidays and weekends.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:41 am 
Gallychooks,

Will it be possible to post apicture of your nightbox please/

Thanks.

Kiew

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:35 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

A little bit off point, but if you were awake at the early hours of the morning, you'll find that the native birds are way louder then a Roosters crow, its just everyone is used to that.

Does he have a perch in there to roost on ?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:52 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Hi Kiew,
My phone has been broken for ages, I have been missing the ability to take photos but I will try to use a camera or borrow my husband's phone to get one tomorrow (or asap). :-)
Sarah

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:16 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

NellyG has some good info and a couple of pics on night housing in her sticky.

Quote:
This is a brick night box

Linc to thread: Rooster Night Housing

And a wooden one

link to thread: How can I stop Charlotte crowing?

There's a DIY one here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8020754&p=637618&hilit=night+box+foam#p637618

And there's one here that I like because it's so simple.

dzimbahwe wrote:
After three months of my husband complaining about our RIR rooster 'Reggie's' crowing from 4am non-stop I decided to make a rooster box for him. I initially tried him in just a cardboard box in the chicken coop, picking him up off his perch at around 10-11pm and putting him in it until 8am ish in the morning but he still started crowing at 5am - not good enough!

So yesterday I bought a black storage box with lid from Bunnings and lined it (top, bottom and sides) with pieces of a rubber anti-vibration mat I also found in Bunnings (see pic below). It is a 54litre box which looked big enough initially but now it is lined the space inside is greatly reduced. I drilled two holes in each side of the box for ventilation (second pic). Last night was his first night in the box - the box is long enough for him head to tail, and wide enough but it is not tall enough for him to stand upright - just crouch. Anyway, he didn't make a sound (that we could hear) until I let him out of his box at 8am this morning. So the box worked a treat!

But now I am feeling guilty...is it too confining? My husband is thrilled with the outcome but I feel sorry for poor Reggie locked in the box all night.

The rest of the thread here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8011005&p=558140&hilit=night+box+foam#p558140

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:17 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

QChick wrote:
Gallychooks,

Will it be possible to post apicture of your nightbox please/

Thanks.

Kiew

Here is a video I took this morning of the chooks coming out of mine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xElJPxPlaWw&feature=youtu.be
My toddler and the dog were very excited, we usually watch from the window if at all!! :-D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:16 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

My goodness! Talk about luxury! :laughing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:21 pm 
A big thank you to Chicken07 for digging out so many links for me.

Another big thank you to gallychook for taking the video for me. But I am curious if your automatic door is connected to atime which will open and shut at specific time as you said "They put themselves away so it is also ok to go away or not be around at bedtime."

When we go awayand befoer my experiment with keeping cokerals, we have to arrange for neighbours to lock the grils up.

Kiew

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:07 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Chicken07 wrote:
My goodness! Talk about luxury! :laughing

Haha thanks :biggrin:

QChick wrote:
A big thank you to Chicken07 for digging out so many links for me.

Another big thank you to gallychook for taking the video for me. But I am curious if your automatic door is connected to atime which will open and shut at specific time as you said "They put themselves away so it is also ok to go away or not be around at bedtime."

When we go awayand befoer my experiment with keeping cokerals, we have to arrange for neighbours to lock the grils up.

Kiew

The automatic door is connected to a timer, our door is currently set to close at 6PM and open at 8AM weekdays(9AM on Saturday and 10AM on Sunday). The thing on the front is the motor and then we drilled a hole through which is connected to the timer unit and battery packs on the inside (all part of the opener kit). This one came from Chuxaway in the UK, there are a number of different openers which look good [This one works well but I don't necessarily recommend it, I put some comments on the automatic door opener thread]. It is essential for us to have a timer for the AM/opening but possibly a sensor for closing might be good. Chooks were away about 5.20 today (except Silkie who was broody in the little house when they moved so I am still training her to use the big house and not the old house where she like to sleep in private ;-) ) and the door is set to close at 6. We will just need to reprogram the closing time a few times a year.
We have two chook families, one were really happy/moved in the very first night, the other family took about 3 weeks of sometimes having to be put in the door before they consistently put themselves away. :-)

Sarah

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:37 am 
Thank you, gallychooks.

It was such a relief tp read the timer is battery opearted. The thoight of connecting electricity from house to chook house would be too expensive.

I really like the timber you used to clad the chook house. Is it Cypress pine?

I have many metres of cypress pine left from home renovation.

Kiew

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:45 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Hi Kiew,

No problem. Have a look at this thread http://forum.backyardpoultry.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4161&start=45 for more info about the openers. I am not sure that any of the kit ones are connected to mains due to the safety issues outdoors (and same as you said most people don't have scope to connect from their house). The website where I bought mine was http://www.chuxaway.com/page14.aspx I think ultimately I was mindful of budget which I why I got this one, it was a bit cheaper than the others I found. It doesn't have the same lifting capacity as the most popular one though which meant I had to change my design for the door once I realised to keep it around 500g!
Yes it was cypress for the pair of doors on the front, and recycled merbau decking for the small pieces of dark wood near the automatic door. Also the window was polycarbonate sheeting from a reuse shop which used to be a display with lettering for somewhere like Country Road and I scratched off the letters I didn't want to make the "sh" message on it (I only thought of this once I got it) . Definitely use your cypress and anything else you have available. :-D

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:22 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

dzimbahwe wrote:
After three months of my husband complaining about our RIR rooster 'Reggie's' crowing from 4am non-stop I decided to make a rooster box for him. I initially tried him in just a cardboard box in the chicken coop, picking him up off his perch at around 10-11pm and putting him in it until 8am ish in the morning but he still started crowing at 5am - not good enough!

So yesterday I bought a black storage box with lid from Bunnings and lined it (top, bottom and sides) with pieces of a rubber anti-vibration mat I also found in Bunnings (see pic below). It is a 54litre box which looked big enough initially but now it is lined the space inside is greatly reduced. I drilled two holes in each side of the box for ventilation (second pic). Last night was his first night in the box - the box is long enough for him head to tail, and wide enough but it is not tall enough for him to stand upright - just crouch. Anyway, he didn't make a sound (that we could hear) until I let him out of his box at 8am this morning. So the box worked a treat!

But now I am feeling guilty...is it too confining? My husband is thrilled with the outcome but I feel sorry for poor Reggie locked in the box all night.

This setup is similar to mine. However, I'd gone a step further and put the tub inside the rubbish bin. There's no need to drill the holes on the tub (it's not air tight so plenty of ventilation). I'm thinking of stuffing 'roof insulation material' in the rubbish bin to absorb the sound/noise.

If any neighbours still complaining about the noise from the rooster then really they'll need to get a life. No one complains to me yet (maybe I'm having good neighbours) :o

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:33 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Having seen that automatic door opener on a timer, I am thinking of redesigning my coop to install one of these in a sturdy sound proof coop. I only have a few bantams so it doesn't have to be huge and if I can keep my Harry in til a respectable hour using an automatic door and timer (as I leave for work often before the lazy rooster is even up) then I think I would feel lots better about the keeping of a Rooster against council laws.