Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - How to raise chickens without feeding them grain

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:09 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:32 am 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

http://www.geofflawton.com/sq/34325-fee ... hout-grain

And create great compost!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:37 am 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Oh I hate putting my email address into strange websites because I get too much spam as it is.

Can you give a summary?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:43 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

I didn't want to sign up to watch the video.
He mentions a 5 acre permaculture garden to feed the chickens. I wouldn't want to rely on the standard compost heap in the suburban backyard!
I know when my flock is out free ranging they barely eat their grain after so many treats from the garden.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:48 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Same here. I won't sign up to a website right off the bat,

Ron

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:05 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Just to allay concerns, I receive barely any emails from him, though I wish I did as his ideas are amazing, and pretty well received worldwide. In fact he is considered an expert in his field.
But there is always the good ole Unsubscribe" option :thumbs:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:20 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I don't want to subscribe.

Is this the same video?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:47 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Chicken07 wrote:
I don't want to subscribe.

Is this the same video?

Yep.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:12 am 
Sultry Swan
Sultry Swan

he mentions that the industrialisation of crops and surplus to human need being the start of feeding grain to chooks.
compost instead of grain for chooks is like how before humans ate grain they were leaner and ate more protein.

essentially old school eating; the chooks look happy and busy.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:45 am 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

I subscribed, and have to say I'm glad I did. THIS video was interesting, but the process is on a very large scale, that most of us likely would not be able to reproduce. The NEXT video will be on a backyard or slightly larger scale. The OTHER videos in the series were VERY interesting. The first one starts out explaining that the motive behind the series is helping people prepare to "survive the collapse" - whether financial, industrial, environmental, or what - so comes off as a bit paranoid if you're not into that sort of stuff. But there's still some useful information in there. It particularly hit home, as in 2011 we had those terrible floods, and Toowoomba was pretty much cut off from the rest of the world as far as getting food and water in, and a setup like he talks about in the videos would have caused that event to have a much smaller impact. So it doesn't necessarily have to apply to "the world is about to end" scenarios. After that first video, survival and collapse are hardly mentioned at all, and it becomes all about permaculture and self-sustainability, which I'd think would be very interesting to many people here.

I highly recommend watching them all.

If you don't want to use your email address, you can get a plugin for your browser (I use Chrome, and the plugin is called Do Not Track Me). When you enter your email address, it will give you the option to mask it. If you do that, it will create a bogus email address that it will submit to the site, and will then record the bogus and your real email address in its own database. Kind of like a redirect. So the newsletter will go to the bogus email address, which will then be forwarded to you. If at any time you start getting spam through that forwarding address, you can just block it via Do Not Track Me. Nothing more will be forwarded to you from that bogus email address.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:42 am 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Thanks Cathy for finding a version of the video that did not require subscription! I don't know how you managed it but well done :)

Sharon and grabby - thanks for the summaries you gave - I just have not had time this week!!

Sharon I agree the survivalist aspect is very interesting even if you just want to be self sufficient for your own reasons, this is a great place to start. I know I will be looking out for his backyard version of the chook-compost process on video, and using his "checklist" for buying land when we buy our rural escape :woot:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:22 am 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Yes, I printed that out - makes me look at vacant blocks of land from a COMPLETELY different viewpoint!

A new one was just posted overnight, so I'm off to check that out now too. It's not the chook compost one - the newsletter said they're still working on that one. He's doing an online course next year - sometime after March. If it's not too expensive (I don't actually know if there will be any cost) I'll be following along.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:53 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I watched this a few days ago -- very interesting, though not everyone has truckloads of scraps composting down.

But what's really interesting, I reckon, is that he's going to post a new video after a bit of experimenting with his solar electranetted birds -- a moveable tractor, and at least a metre cubed of compost (that's what he says is the minimum size for proper composing to occur). What he's trying to do would fit into an urban garden. I also like the way he's sketched it with a cage over the new pile and the decomposing (and worm rich) piles available for scratching. (The cage could stop not only chickens but also reduce vermin like rats.) I gather you move the pen slowly down the yard so it incorporates a new -- caged -- scrap pile every 3 weeks, and you free up an old pile out the other end. Ratio of scraps to carbon (woody plant matter) to manure is a third each, which sounds simple enough to get the hang of. After he's done the above set up for a while to see if it works out, he plans to make a video of it all.

However I keep wondering how an average family can make enough scraps to keep this process alive? And would this supply enough worms and other insects for the birds to stay healthy?

Questions, questions... I for one am glued to his website. :-)