Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Using whitewash and lime

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:30 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 7:50 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

“Lime” comes in 3 different forms:

1. Calcium carbonate, CaCO3.
Also called garden lime, agricultural lime, (and if it contains also some Magnesium: Dolomite). It occurs naturally in limestone deposits, like around Buchan in Gippsland, in the Burgundy, France, and where I come from near Basle in Switzerland. It doesn’t harm plants or animals but can be used to counteract soil acidity.

2. Calcium oxide, CaO.
CaCO3 -> CaO + CO2
Lime used to be ‘burnt’, in lime kilns, which are still around in limestone areas, and ‘burning’, which is simply dry heating, then produces Calcium Oxide, also called burnt lime, quick lime and unslaked lime. Calcium oxide is highly reactive, as it takes up moisture from the air (or from living tissue) very quickly, forming a caustic product, Calcium hydroxide. Therefore it destroys living tissue. It burns plants, animals and skin etc. Breathing it in is not recommended, or getting it on skin.

3. Calcium hydroxide, Ca(OH)2.
CaO + H2O -> Ca(OH)2
When above burnt lime is mixed with water a very violent reaction called ‘slaking’ takes place, and the product is ‘slaked lime’, also called calcium hydrate, hydrated lime, lime hydrate, builders lime. Builders lime is caustic and again burns skin. It is the lime used for white washing buildings, however a pH of 10-12 will burn skin easily.
Calcium hydroxide, as a caustic, will react with any acid, like Carbonic acid to give ‘garden lime’ again, so if exposed to air will become harmless once more.
Ca(OH)2 + CO2 -> CaCO3 + H2O

Yes, I'm a chemist, so what?
:biggrin:

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:21 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

So what would you recommend for a lime wash Globi?

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 11:17 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

OK - so let's see if I've got this right?
Calcium hydroxide Ca(OH)2 is hydrated lime (builders lime/masons lime) which is used for lime wash?/white wash? It is caustic, but when diluted as advised by hardfeather 1 1/2 kg in 8 lt water does not burn skin (when painting it - probably shouldn't bath in it )
Painted on perches (ie exposed to air) it becomes Calcium carbonate CacO3 (garden lime) which does not harm plants or animals (although may be an unsuitable ph for some plants) It appears to have a destructive effect on some organisms which may cause ill health in poultry.
Avoid Calcium oxide CaO which is not available in Australia (to the general public)
Thank you Hardfeather and Globi for your inputs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:16 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Yes Sue, builders lime for white wash. It is still very caustic at this dilution. I think it is a very good idea for walls and such, but I would not use it on perches as I don't know how long it takes to convert to lime. Probably a fair while. Hardfeather mentioned a pH of 10-12 and burnt feet from lumps of moist stuff. That summs it up I think.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:28 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Do you use hydrated lime as a dust on the floor, I remember my Dad using lime for sanitizing the pens and he just dusted it on the walls and floor, in the old days they had some useful remedies and I don't ever recall any of the chickens ever getting sick the only problem is I don't know which lime dust he used. Any help would be appreciated thankyou. :read :read :read :aaah!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:23 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Hi frandaley and welcome to the forum

Definately NOT hydrated lime - use garden lime.
Nostalgia is a fine thing. Some of the old remedies survived because they were the best available at the time. All chooks die of something. If it is not old age, something else has killed them - find a balance between what used to be done and modern best practice.
Have you read this whole thread? The differences and dangers of the various types of lime is explained.

Have a look here
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7999792