Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Not laying eggs

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 12:16 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Not laying eggs
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:22 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I thought I knew reasonably well about chooks by now, but one of my 3 RIRs 2 years+ old stopped laying a week ago.
Last month before that she'd be laying every other day only. The rest would be laying about 5 eggs per week.
No moulting, no brooding, looks happy, excellent feed, no stress, part-time free ranging, no signs of external parasites, no tell-signs of eggs being eaten, no predators penetration ect.
Could it be the end of her laying life (too short for that?). She'd been the worst layer.

The only reason I could think of could be internal parasites - I didn't do the worming to them yet - but they look very happy and energetic, so I have my doubts... Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: Not laying eggs
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:32 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Maybe the weather? Mine have all gone off the lay, from up to 24 eggs a day to 1, maybe 2. Too hot here in Central Vic right in drought conditions (dams are dry, I even have to buy water for the chooks). Constant hot wind off the bare earth after wheat etc has been harvested for miles around. So I don't mind they have all stopped laying, give 'em a break, they need all their energy just to survive the heat waves healthy let alone laying eggs at the same time.

Just ten kilometres away a friend has chooks that are still laying well - but in a microclimate with lots of big trees and in the shelter of hills.

(And did we get any of the big rains that circled Victoria this week: not a drop). Does anyone else living in slightly extreme climate, whether hot or cold or wet or humid find it has a local effect on egg-layers?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:06 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I have a light Sussex who went off the lay a couple of months ago for no apparent reason. She's remakably healthy looking, bright, active, wasn't obviously moulting, definitely wasn't broody. I wormed her and I think she did have internal parasites but I didn't really find evidence of them in cleaning out her coop afterwards. We suspected tape worm prior to worming anyway.

It was hot and very dry.
We've been incredibly fortunate to have received quite a lot of rain in the past couple of weeks (the tanks were basically empty and the dams were dry so I'll be grateful for every drop we get! )
And miss Lucy suddenly started laying again. She's given me 5 eggs in the last 6 days which is pretty typical for her prior to going off the lay. I think she probably just needed a break but what PossumCorner suggested about the stress of the heat sounds plausible too.

Digger, I'd be inclined to give her the benefit of the doubt. Worm her and just keep up the good nutrition and I expect she'll probably start laying again after she's had a bit of down time. I think producing eggs is a very draining process.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:43 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

I have 15 young ducks and up to about a week ago they have laid 6 - 8 eggs a day. This week they have laid either 1 or 2 per day. Possibly the hot dry weather but they have access to a dam - except at night - lots of cool shade and plenty of drinking water. Nothing has changed - food, routine etc ... if anyone can suggest other possible causes I'd be most grateful.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:49 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

Rodblair aside from my non-laying hens (I even 'bought' eggs for eating today at the produce exchange at the farmers market) my ducks have equally completely stopped laying. From up to 10 eggs a day to nil. Likewise the guinea fowl.

I still put it down to the hot dry, and a natural sensible response to extreme weather. Our forecast for the next week is still hot, 36-38 each day.

And to add insult a fierce dust willy-willy just went through, really a very mini tornado, it took the clear alsinite roof panels off a chook-pen roof and left one sheet of roofing about a hundred feet up a gum-tree caught between branches. Now to move all chooks ponies etc from the area of a straight-down fall, and hope the wind doesn't do anything too extreme with it when it drops.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:00 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I would be suspicious of the hot dry summer.

Mine have slowed down and many people's chooks have stopped laying

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:34 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

OK, I found the reason in my case -she's moulting again, just after a 3 weeks break. Is it normal, to moult so often?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:49 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

It's unusual but not entirely abnormal. Various things can trigger a moult, - seasonal, reduction of light, change of diet, shortage of protein, broodiness, stress, disease.
If she appears in good health, worm her, feed her plenty of protein and hope that she comes back into lay in the Spring.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:28 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Digger, I just re read your post. If chooks free range, they will get worms. Most of the live protein that they have a chance to forage for are vectors (one of the hosts in a life cycle) for worms. eg snails and slaters host Tape Worm. A bird with a worm burden may not initially appear unhealthy but they are eating for more than themselves and will be affected eventually. Make sure that you treat with a product which covers Tape Worm - whatever the person at the produce/pet store tells you, if the label doesn't list Tape Worm, the product won't kill Tape Worm.
This may not be the reason that your hen is not laying, but take the opportunity to treat while you don't have to with hold her eggs.
I once cracked an egg and found a worm inside it. It put me off eating eggs for ages.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:38 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

sue55 wrote:
Digger, I just re read your post. If chooks free range, they will get worms. Most of the live protein that they have a chance to forage for are vectors (one of the hosts in a life cycle) for worms. eg snails and slaters host Tape Worm. A bird with a worm burden may not initially appear unhealthy but they are eating for more than themselves and will be affected eventually. Make sure that you treat with a product which covers Tape Worm - whatever the person at the produce/pet store tells you, if the label doesn't list Tape Worm, the product won't kill Tape Worm.
This may not be the reason that your hen is not laying, but take the opportunity to treat while you don't have to with hold her eggs.
I once cracked an egg and found a worm inside it. It put me off eating eggs for ages.

Thanks, sue55.
I never wormed my birds. The mayor reason - I don't see the worming product on the shelf where I'm buying my feed. I saw just one product, which didn't cover tape worms.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:26 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Digger, the only products which cover Tapeworm are Avitrol plus (not my preference as the instructions say to with hold food for 24 hours before and 3 hours after dosing), Worm Out or Moxidectin Plus. Your produce place might order the first 2 in for you. All can be ordered on line from Gecko Dan or the Moxi Plus from the Knox bird Clinic.