Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - New Chooks!

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:05 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Chooks!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:09 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

I finally got my new chooks today, and I'm so excited. I've got three beautiful girls, and I'm a little bit in love already! I think I already know the answer, but I'm a concerned new chook owner, so I'm a bit obsessive at the moment! The chooks won't come out of their coop. I'm assuming that they're just needing some security and time to adjust because of their new surroundings but I guess I just need someone to tell me that!

Post subject: Re: New Chooks!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:39 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

It's normal. Give them a couple of days to settle in and learn where they are supposed to sleep. They will venture out when they are ready. You can encourage them out with a Scratch Mix treat - Also good to help them go home in the evening.
BTW, you don't really have them until you can prove it with some pics :laughing :laughing

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:25 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Not the best photo, but it's the best I have at the moment. I'm sure there'll be more once they start to get a bit more comfortable in their new home! And thank you for the advice! :th

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:32 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Oh, they came out and scratched around a bit, but they've just headed back inside. I think that they're a bit freaked out because it's quite windy and it's loud with all the trees around my house.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:02 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Hi KaydeeJayde

your set up looks great - would love to see more photos! Is that a long metal feeder with scratch mix to the left of the photo? What breeds do you have? (sorry hard to tell from photo) My guess would be an Australorp, White Leghorn and an Isa Browm/Hy Line or Rhodie cross (almost same diff )

And yes new chooks (all chooks!) always cautious about a new environment. Give them time, speak quietly and with treats every day on a regular basis until they are used to you and the sound of your voice (and the fact that you come bearing treats!)

BIG TIP: Mealworms will seal the deal of friendship - Chickens will climb the walls (and your arms and feet and legs and lap) for those and become your bestest friend :)

Happy Chooking!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:43 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

They are only young, so it is normal for them to be timid as life is new to them. They look lovely girls and I think they will settle down really quickly. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:42 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Oh TookTook, that's a really good tip! Guess who's going to get meal worms tomorrow!

At the pet supply where I got them, they could only tell me that they're Isa Brown cross. I think she did mention Australorp so the black one might be australorp cross. Not sure on the white one though, but I'll provide more pictures once they're a little more confident being out of the coop.

I did get the long metal feeder, I feel like there's more space for the three of them to share. Haha, maybe I'm humanising them a bit! I'm hoping tomorrow it'll be a bit calmer weather-wise and I'll get some better photos!

Thank you for your advice. These are my first chickens so I'm a bit in the dark, even though I've done a lot of research to make sure I can take care of them properly. I think I'm addicted though, these girls won't be my last! Haha! I can have 5 all up, so I'm wondering if I should get another coop and get another 2, they can free range in my yard (they've got lots of space at the moment but I've put up a barrier to stop my dog getting to them... I think he's more afraid of them than they are of him though, funnily enough).

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:57 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Good luck sticking to 5 ! :)

Long metal feeder is good! The more room to share the better !

Humanising? I have also on this forum seen it called "anthropomorphising" ....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropomorphism

to be very scientific and technical and I personally don''t have a problem with it. Chickens are not as dumb as most people think and in my experience are actually smarter than quite a lot of human beings I have met.

Would suggest you be really cautious re your dog - I know of folk who trusted their dogs with their chooks for a few years before one of the spaniels finally 'snapped' and grabbed a chook out of the blue. The shock was bad for the chook and though she survived the immediate attack she did pass on within a short time.

It's instinct and nature and just out of our control sadly.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:21 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Oh definitely very wary of the dog, he's in a different part of the yard to the chooks. When they're out, he's inside mostly and he can't get over or through the fence.

The chickens are just starting to show me their lovely little personalities and I hope as they gain a bit of confidence, their personalities will grow too, but I think I will have trouble sticking to 5... [emoji45]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk