Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - keeping pullets with hens

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:15 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:03 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I was hoping for some advice on how best to house my new girls. I have two chicken tractors which are both suitable for about four hens in each (suppliers say up to six but I have serious doubts on this). I have a three hens which are long term residents in the slightly smaller of the two. I organised to get four more non breeding purebreds and assumed, as has always been the case when I have previously purchased this way, that they would all be the same age. Unfortunately for me, since I had one tractor fenced off to keep the current residents away when they free range, I received two point of lay and two young pullets. They stayed in the tractor together for the first two days while I hunted down a rabbit hutch for the young ones. This prevented them from being bullied and allowed each to receive age appropriate feed but the young pullets are growing very quickly and the rabbit hutch will be too small for them soon.

Is there any way of combining them which may work (it is fast approaching the end of quarantine time) or do I just need to buy or build a third house for them?

Thanks for any suggestions.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:26 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Lol that is difficult for you! Personally I would put them in together and watch closely as it will be very difficult for you to house them separately, or alternatively put the new bigger two and the three originals in together and house the younger ones in the smallest coop. How old do you think they are? That kind of regulates whether you can put theem in with the older ones safely.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:46 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I texted the breeder last week to ask how old they all were and received the answer nine weeks. This could only be for the youngest as the two older ones have been laying for the whole fortnight. It appears to me the younger two are also different ages, as I said I have never had any younger than point of lay but the size and comb, wattle, feathering differences seem to indicate the younger two would be maybe a month different in age (to each other). This would mean they would be approximately eleven and fifteen weeks old now.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:48 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

They are probably old enough to keep with the others then, though they will probably get bossed around by the older hens. IF you put them together keep an eye on them and separate if they start getting hurt (ie bleeding). I do hope they go OK.