Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Poultry Bedding in Adelaide

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:25 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:29 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi All,

i have 6 x chooks (they nest in hay), 4 x Indian Runner ducks that make an awful mess of hay and 2 dozen eggs in the incubator.
What are recommendations for bedding material that i can use for the ducks and chicks if/when they hatch?
Hay is no good for chicks i hear and it becomes a horrible mess for the ducks.
I have tried rice hulls before and they were great for chicks and ducklings but they don't break down very easily so they end up in the green bin. I have seen quite a few folks use wood shavings but then others that are not so keen on the idea.

Suggestions on what i should be using and where to buy (at a good price) in Adelaide?

Got a price on wood shavings form a fodder store and it was $22 for a bag which seemed excessive.

TIA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:47 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Proteq. $12 -$14 60 litres reconstituted. Ring around for a supplier or contact them directly for a lead.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8036783&hilit=proteq

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:22 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks but no stockists close to the city makes it a little tough. Otherwise would've been keen to give it a go. :(

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:15 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Try Shredded paper........I use this for all nests.........for chickens hatched from incubator I put around 5mm thick of chicken starters in the bottom of the brooder, cleaned out every second, third day. Older chooks love it, so no wastage.

:wee :clnava :duck2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:51 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Peastraw is the best I've found to use

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:57 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I'm with Ashy, my wife beings home shredded paper from work and it works great with the chicks. We replaced it every second day or so over sheets of news paper and just roll it all up and throw it in the compost. I haven't tried anything else though so maybe other options work better.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:47 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I thought about this issue years ago and settled on washed sand, either sandpit sand (best) or paving sweeping sand (any benign washed sand would probably do). You can buy a 20 kg bag of sand from a hardware store for about $6. I have used this for years on a concrete floor with no issues (also used sand in large cardboard boxes lined with newspaper). It acts a bit like kitty litter to absorb and coat the droppings, the chicks seldom try to consume it and if they do it will only aid their digestion (as a source of grit) and do no harm. Once it becomes too soiled just sweep up the badly soiled sand and replace it with fresh. You only need very little as it doesn't take much to spread thinly over concrete.

However, recently I have hatched ducklings for the first time and noticed for the first few days their little legs were spradling out (sliding out sideways) on the slippery sand and unable to gain traction. To try to counteract this I spread some straw around but that didn't seem to help. Now, after a few days the ducklings seem fine and have become stronger and able to walk and stand OK (so maybe they were just weak after hatching).

I dispose of the soiled sand in the bin rather than add it to compost or garden (probably do no harm if you did though).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:07 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I use sand under the litter and in the run (for drainage) in some of my pens, especially the moveable chick pens. On our heavy clay soil it is a good addition. When I move the pens, I leave the sand behind. It soon disappears as the grass regrows.
I have started to use synthetic turf in my nest boxes and am finding that my broodies are also happy on it. I cut a piece to fit the floor space in the 'maternity suite' and put a seedling tray underneath to form a nest. Once the hen has got her chicks moving, I remove the tray. A thin layer of straw on top and it shakes clean or if necessary can be washed. Ask at a turf supplier/landscaper for offcuts.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:30 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

You can get Hysorb which is wood shavings but very tightly compacted.

Each bale lasts a long time because it expands when you pull it out.

I get that normally for about $13 a bale but I got it on special a few weeks ago for $9.50 a bale.

I also get Proteq which is very good too but I use the wood shavings for chicks.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:18 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Stick with the rice hulls. When you clean out bag it up (Use the empty feed bags you generate.), stick it on GumTree for $5 a bag, and make some money from your birds waste.

I swap/barter/exchange mine with local gardeners, a bag of litter many times has turned into:
jars of homemade jam or chutney,
bags of fruit
seedlings
seeds and cuttings
cake

Ron