Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Protein supplementation

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:37 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Protein supplementation
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:10 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi, I am a new member and have recently acquired 1 cockerel and 5 pullets as backyard chickens on a 1 hectare property. So far so good. Only thing that concerns me is their protein intake. At present they are still in their run as we would like them to have been here longer before we release them and still not sure how our old dog will react to them. Do organically fed chickens who are free ranging need protein supplementation? TIA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:47 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi,
I'm sure someone a lot more experienced will chime in but I have only ever fed my chickens laying pellets and let them free range from before I go to work until I come home. They also get a decent feed of various kitchen scraps between them.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:52 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Also, welcome!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:09 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

They need a good quality layer ration as the main component of their diet. That can be organic if you prefer, but remember that scratch mixes are seldom nutritious enough to support good health and egg laying. So get a properly formulated layer mix.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:38 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

An egg contains about 6% protein, chicken flesh approximately 30%. Unless your chooks are ranged on improved pasture and there is a constant regeneration of live protein they will need adequate protein supplied in their diet.
As you have a cockerel I assume that you intend to breed in the future. Attention to a supplemented diet will also help here.
The general recommendation for dietary protein for backyard layers is that at least 80% of what they eat should come from a good quality layer or breeder feed which has at least 15% protein. The easiest way to manage is with a permanent source of this available and free ranging in the afternoon. A treadle feeder (expensive) will prevent vermin from accessing the feed and will soon pay for itself in reduced wastage.