Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - How much to build coop

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:37 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How much to build coop
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:04 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi everyone,

Brand new chicken keeper to be here - I am wanting to build a chicken coop for 3-4 chickens but have no idea what sort of price I would be looking to pay for someone to build it for me (minus the gravel flooring)... I am in Adelaide and am after something like this - what do you think would be a reasonable price to pay? I've contacted a few carpenters but all have asked what my budget is - I have no idea what it's worth though!!

https://www.bhgshop.com.au/media/5988/b ... ssed-1.pdf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:02 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

That article gives you the 'ingredients' list, and rough material cost on the last page, so you could do some sums and it should give you a ballpark cost for materials only. Labour costs is where it will get expensive though, depending on the geographical area some carpenters/builders can charge $60-ish an hour up to over $100. You can look at teeing up an apprentice to do the work (with their mentors permission), which can cut the cost in half, or look at local (decent) handymen. That can bring the cost down to $35 an hour, $40p/h or there abouts (again, depends on location, prices vary wildly throughout Australia).

When you are getting any quotes for work, always get a minimum of three so you can compare prices. Some will under-price and leave you with shoddy work, or charges down the line, and some can over-price because they don't want to take the job. Always aim for the middle price, and ensure it lists all the work to be done.

If the coop plan is pretty much exactly what you are after, I'd be inclined to print it off and give it to the people you want quotes from. That way half the work is done for them and they should be able to give you a price pretty quickly. You really do need to work out what your budget is, and not go over it. Decide an amount you feel is acceptable for you to spend, and go from there.

The other option is to try and DIY it. It looks pretty simple, so borrowing or hiring tools for a weekend and you could knock it up pretty easily. This is coming from a person who -with no prior experience- has since totally renovated and extended a house, built a carport, built a front fence, and my chicken coop, aquaponics, among other things. All it takes is a bit of research and preparation! Well, and time...time is the one thing we all are short on, lol (which is why my front fence is still without gates, but shh, lets ignore that, haha).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:03 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

PS, welcome to the forum! :clnava

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:12 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Welcome to BYP :)

This coop cost me about $800 to make just for the raw materials (from memory). It's about 3m x 2.4m. It took me about 4 days, working on my own. I bought all the materials new, and I didn't skimp on quality (e.g. it has welded mesh panels on walls, roof and floor, not just chicken wire).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:07 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

If you can give a tradie a list of materials and a set of instructions, they should have no problem giving a quote. Asking what your budget is, is like asking how much they can get away with charging you. Their quote should allow you to decide whether or not you can afford to go ahead or make some compromises. Nice set up - plenty of room for 3-4 chooks (and some extras).
Another option which would give you a very similar end product would be to erect a small carport and use some mesh panels to enclose some of the sides and use gal sheets on other walls for weather protection . Nest boxes and feeders can be purchased seperately.

Last edited by sue55 on Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:11 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

It's a very nice looking coop!