Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Feeding Lupins

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:38 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Feeding Lupins
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:20 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

I feed rolled or lightly milled Lupins to the alpacas (soaked, in a chaff mix) - and as lupins are so high in protein would include them in the chooks' feed - except they don't much like them. Too expensive to waste on picky eaters.

Does anyone feed lupins to their poultry - how? Dry, soaked, alone or mixed with other feed (if so what proportions?)? My chooks, geese and ducks are not much impressed with cracked lupins dry. The rabbits move in at night and clear up happily what the geese and ducks leave: maybe I should be raising rabbits on a high protein diet, but catching them seems a bit of a drama.

It's not going to waste, aside from good alpaca tucker the sheep and ponies like it, but would just like to incorporate lupins for the poultry in a way they will enjoy not just reluctantly tolerate.

Post subject: Re: Feeding Lupins
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:48 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

At a guess I'd say they are about 25% protein, so that's high but not particularly so and they are very high in fibre so possibly not that digestible for hens. So I figure if the hens eat a bit that's ok but if they won't then they're not missing anything too special.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:06 am 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

I was given a bag of them once and the chooks were not interested. I tried straight, crushed and sprouted. NOT impressed!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:11 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Same here. When I went thru the 'making my own grain mix' stage, I ended up tossing the Lupins on the fallow vege garden for green manure rather than having the chooks take me to the RSPCA.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:12 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Okay, seems to be a trend: back to the drawing board.

I hate to give up without a fight: some Dept of Ag Notes (forget which State) had some info, and included it should be ground more for poultry, not just lightly crushed. So I will see if the farm I buy from can run a bag or two for me with the grinders set as close to flour as they can, and feed it camouflaged as part of a total mash rather than a grain mix.

Protein is supposed to have tested above 30, and because of that I will persevere with it as part of the mix. (But will probably end up making life easier by going back to Lauckes).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:50 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Yes, when I was trying it I thought it might be acceptable disguised in a mash, but it was too hard for me to grind it up small enough. Let us know how you go!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:16 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Persevering. Ran out of Lauckes again this week, just as another local on-farm supplier installed a crusher. So have bought a couple of bags today of fresh harvested fresh ground stuff. Ten kilos each of well crushed oats, barley, wheat, lupins mixed together. Soaked a pot-full, and mixed it with Lucerne chaff. Bit of initial suspicion, then they ate it happily - nine pens of chickens with a few different breeds and ages, about 5-10 to a pen, (plus the four ducks and seven geese). So far so good.

The farmer doing the crushing has a few chooks so is also trialling feeding this mix for them. I've put him onto adding a bit of Anitone and he's getting some calcium additive for us, so most issues are covered nutrition-wise. At $16 for 40 kilos it seems worth a fair trial, especially as fairly organically grown, minimum chemical.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:22 pm 
Golden Cockatoo
Golden Cockatoo

oh that is a good price.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:04 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

yeah - sounds really worth trying!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:47 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

" At $16 for 40 kilos it seems worth a fair trial, especially as fairly organically grown, minimum chemical."

The polite way to say what I just exclaimed out loud is "goodness that's an excellent price for that quantity of quality feed".

JEALOUS!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:38 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

OMG :shock:

You will probably need to sit down if I tell you what feed costs over here :rofl:

Admittedly I buy most of mine off the shelf, its about £9-£10 for 20kg, but even straight wheat (unmilled) straight from the farm is £4 for 20kg!

I also have to admit that when I clicked on the topic I was expecting to see tips for how you keep lupins growing well! They aren't commonly used in poultry food as far as I know in the UK. But, in Spain/Portugal they are a delicacy for human consumption. They are sort of pickled/brined and you eat them as a snack with a cold beer! And rather bizarrely I just ordered some seed yesterday to grow my own patch :-D