Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Calcium content in pellets

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:23 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:43 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi there,

Just a query about the type of food we are feeding our ducks. We have 2x cayuga crosses, who are now approx. 12 weeks old. There doesn't seem to be a great variety of feeds out there where we are living, and we have been feeding a 'Vella' brand duck pellet. However, I am unsure if the calcium content is too high. I am sure there is a suitable 'range' that the ducks calcium consumption range can be in prior to going into lay, but from what I am reading it is generally advised that it is less than 1%. The calcium content in these Vella pellets is 2%. As I understand it, layers should be on 3% or slightly more. So is 2% too much? If it is suitable to keep them on the pellets, it would be great to do so, but I don't want to cause long term damage due to them being too high in calcium.

Cheers,

Jacob

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:41 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Hi Jacob and welcome to BYP. Apologies that we haven't responded to your question before now.
Vella is a good quality product so I think that you can be confident that the pellets you are feeding are OK for your ducks, especially if they also have access to some grazing. The formulation of commercial poultry feed is based on appropriate nutritional needs. It does not make economic sense for a manufacturer to add unnecessary extras. The brand of poultry food which I use (Lauke) does not list the calcium percentage on their duck feed but they do suggest that their Red Hen chicken range is also suitable. It lists 3% min. calcium.
A lot of the 'duck people' on here feed chicken feed with no apparent problems. In some areas 'duck food' is not locally available.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:05 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Just to add to what Sue said. Even if the Ca content was higher than needed, that should cause no problems.