Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - My hen keeps going broody

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:43 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:20 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi. I have an Araucana who is 18 months old. She lost her best friend last year (to old age), and went broody not long after. I tried her with fertile eggs, which I think she overheated (they didn't hatch), so I bought her 8 one-day-old purebred chicks, which she loved. She was completely devoted to them for about 8-9 weeks, and then decided she was over it. They're now 13 weeks old and thriving. She has suddenly gone broody again (very stubbornly broody). Why is she doing this? She doesn't really make friends with the other hens, although they don't attack each other or anything like that. Why does she keep going broody? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:28 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

With some hens its just in there nature, i have a pure bred welsummer who is brooodie for the 3rd time since spring1 :roll: , one of my Ara hens too went broodie twice whilst the other Ara hen didnt at all. At least it gives you a good mum if you want to raise some chicks. You could sin bin her to brake her brooding. I have at the moment 3 broodie hens looking after 2 chicks between them :doh . I have also 5 double laced Barnevelders, and one of them also went broodie 3 times whilst none of the others did. Just like us they can have different personalities.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:32 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Broodiness is the result of hormones and genetics. The hen has no control over it and cannot make a decision to become broody. Some breeds tend to be more broody than others - generally the meat/dual purpose breeds rather than the layers, although there exceptions. Araucanas are one. Some lines will brood and make great mums, others will never sit. With the broody breeds, once a number of eggs are laid, the hormones kick in and broodiness happens. You either need to let them hatch some eggs, give them some chicks or 'break them' - there are several threads on breaking broodies and sin bins (do a search). The good news is that she should take a break over the Winter.
It is unlikely that your hen over heated her first setting (the instinct to care for their eggs is fine tuned and unless the daytime temps were far too high she would have managed the temp well). It os more likely that the problem was with the eggs.
I find that my Araucanas tend to be less socially interactive than my other breeds.