Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Dine A Chook feeders

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:39 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dine A Chook feeders
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:18 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I bought one of these feeders a while back and have just dug it out to use this week however I can't see how it is going to work for me.
Previously I have just used the green & white plastic or the metal feeders for my young ones.

I have medium sized chooks and the way the feeder it is designed inside doesn't allow for the food level to be easily accessible to the chooks.
Maybe it can be adjusted?? can't see how though!

As it is the chooks won't use it because they have to stick their head right inside the tube to actually find the food.
Can anyone help? :hmmm:

Post subject: Re: Dine A Chook feeders
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:56 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

We made something similar for the Silkies and I had the same concern. I started by manually filling the access tube to the top. It didn't take long for them to figure it out. These girls had previously used hanging or treadle feeders.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:50 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Yep, I guess I should add food from the front hole....I suppose they will learn OK but it really looks wrong, like the inside baffle should be higher to let more food come down into the bottom area....but then what would I know!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:01 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

I have made some feeders where the object was to top them spreading it all over the floor. So my design was to only allow a few pellets at a time into the bottom of the right angle bend. i was a bit concerned about them getting enough to eat so I have kept a close eye on it and all are fit and healthy and well fleshed and i don't waste the food i used to and the rats don't get much either! Not that mine is a Dine a Chook but the principle of not much feed showing is much the same. This is mine.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:01 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Yes Nelly G that is the same principal however I see less food in the bottom and I think it is harder for the chooks to get it in the Dine A Chook feeder.
I would like to see more gap inside the tube between the bottom of the funnel baffle and the bottom of the feeder.
That would let more food through, would be less likely to clog in our rainy humid weather and would be easier accessed but looks like there is no way to adjust it. :hmmm:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:24 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I don't know what the Dine-a-Chook feeders look like inside the mouth part, but could you trim a bit off with a multi-tool/Dremel/etc?

However, if it really isn't suited to your environment, I'd consider leaving it intact and selling it off to someone, and making yourself a bulk feeder like Nelly's. I made one from a 60lt barrel and it makes life so much easier, I fill once a fortnight with a bag of food and that's it.

I made a PVC pipe feeder recently (90mm pipe, 45deg F&F plain Y junction, end caps), and while it did work well, it was annoying having to refill it all the time. I much prefer the 'tip the bag and go' method of lazy chicken keeping, lol.

Here's my bulk feeder. $25 barrel + 2x $4 flanged elbows, easy peasy.

Attachment:
barrel feeder upload.jpg
barrel feeder upload.jpg [ 285.24 KiB | Viewed 687 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:00 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Any chance of an inside photo Azira? It looks good!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:29 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I didn't take one of the inside sorry, and it's full of food now. I just followed Rob Bob video on youtube, worth having a watch.

*edit - Can't get the video to embed properly on my end, here's the full link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJvqH7a78SA

You can make it even cheaper with normal 90deg PVC elbows (he has a video for that too), but for ease of construction and neat finish I prefer the flanged elbows.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:51 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Thanks for that.....hindsight...shouldn't have bought the Dine A Chook feeder! :doh

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:44 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Dine a chook feeders are in all my pens. Adjust the height of the feeder to get the lower lip at chest height of the chook. Fill up the bottom with extra food so they can see it. Leave the other feeder next to it for a day or two if you are really worried but chooks get the hang of it really quickly.

No more wasted food!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:02 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

i know you didn't ask me, but here is the inside of mine (I already had the photo in my gallery!) :laughing :laughing

When I first made mine I had the 90 degree bends a little longer and i felt not enough food came down and was concerned about clogging up and the chooks not getting any feed, so a cut a small amount off the bottom of each. I love that it takes a whole BIG bag of feed.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:09 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

That's basically what mine looked like, except fewer elbows. I do need to add an extra two though methinks.

I made a mini one for my quail too, although I don't appear to have a photo of that. I used a 20lt barrel (I think?) and a bunch of 50mm elbows. You can see in this photo (the only one I have regarding it, lol) how much I cut off the end to allow for food access (I cut about an inch off the elbows for the chicken feeder). The tab on the bottom was only there for stability because I couldn't screw the elbows in place like the flanged fittings on the chicken barrel are. The other end I cut on an angle to act as a bit of a rain guard, though mainly it was because it was too long for them to reach in otherwise.

Attachment:
quail feeder fitting.jpg
quail feeder fitting.jpg [ 155.9 KiB | Viewed 647 times ]

They are actually fun and easy to make, I'm about to make another one for my daughters primary school. :clnava

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:01 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I've been using a dine-a-chook feeder for all of my chickens for over a year and the ducks eat from it also.
I have noticed that it is wearing inside a little, I'm not too sure how long it will last.
It's been fantastic so far apart from the wear and it had blocked up a couple of times.
The capacity is small so I have a galvanised bin with a hole cut out of it on a stand over the feeder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:14 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I made something similar for the Silkies but used 45' angles and mounted them with on the opposite angle to the ones above. It made it easier for the Silkies to see the food. Sized to take a full bag

download/file.php?id=12146&mode=view

download/file.php?id=12145&mode=view

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:07 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Thank you for the inside view Nelly G. and thank you all for showing me your feeders.
I will give the Dine A chook feeder another go and fill it up with extra food near the bottom opening so the guys and girls can learn to eat from it.
So hoping it will work well. :peece