Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Garden shed to chook house conversion help!

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:26 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:15 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

I have an unused small garden shed measuring 150cm wide x 75cm deep and is walk in height. I am planning to get 3-4 full sized Sussex chickens and 1-2 silky bantams. If I used this as their sleeping quarters, and put in nesting boxes etc, do you think it would be big enough? I also would need to add a run of course - but what size would be required??

They would mostly be housed in here as we have a fox issue, someould obly be able to free dance on the weekends when we are home to keep an eye on them.

Thank you

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:39 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

If they are really just sleeping and laying in the coop, then it should be fine, although it is a bit on the small side for such large chickens. Depending on where the door is, a ladder of roosts at one end and some nesting boxes up off the ground at the other should work, just keep it clean and perhaps add some ventilation and a shadecloth canopy to ensure it stays cool. It will most likely get hot in summer.

Run size depends on how much space you can provide for them, but the more the merrier. Aim for a large, secure, covered run, and personally I wouldn't go smaller than 10m2. If foxes are a real problem, then I'd invest in an electric fence, either a moveable electric net fence so you can expand and relocate their ranging, or wire up some electric fence tape on stand-offs to their permanent run...or both just to be sure, lol.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:09 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Here's a poultry shed with similar dimensions as yours.
Note the wire inserts for ventilation. Good ventilation is important for poultry health.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/absco-sheds ... y_p3311479

Tin sheds will get hot in summer so as Azira said, it is better to either put it in the shade or a shade cloth canopy.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:10 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

The difficulty with these sheds is that you really need to run a perch along the length for that many birds. Large, not very agile chooks like Sussex really need more room to take off and land. If you stagger the perches across the width, (like a ladder) there will be issues over who gets the top spot and birds on the lower levels will be pooped on. If you make the perches low, with nest boxes at a higher level, they will sleep in the nest boxes.
One way around it but ONLY if your run is very secure is to put an access ladder (to a long perch) at the doorway - something that is easily removed for your convenience.

Suggest that you don't get a single Silkie. I prefer chooks in 3's so if something happens to one, there is not an 'only lonely'

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:57 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

It is a little small for that many sussex plus the silkies I think. And as Sue said, a little narrow for sussex. It would make a great coop for half a dozen silkies - they don't need a high perch (can't get up on a high one as they don't fly) or another bantam breed. I am just a bit concerned about the large birds in there.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:23 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback. Think I'll try to come up with another alternative, I just thought if this could work it would make things easy on me to build onto it.

Back to the drawing board!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:45 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

You could always get another shed the same size and join them together if it would otherwise go unused, it's not that hard to do really. But if you are keeping chickens then a small shed next to the pen for your chook related utensils is always handy. Or maybe that's just me and my own laziness at having to walk back up to my sheds to grab the thing I have inevitably forgotten to bring down with me, lol.

But yeah, while you could make it work, it's probably easier to go with something bigger if you are able to.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:26 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Azira wrote:
But if you are keeping chickens then a small shed next to the pen for your chook related utensils is always handy. Or maybe that's just me and my own laziness at having to walk back up to my sheds to grab the thing I have inevitably forgotten to bring down with me, lol.

no! most definitely a great idea!