Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Housing with a crook leg.

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:52 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:26 pm 

I have a hen who has been limping, she is very skittish so doesn't like to be away from the flock at all. It's been for at least a month. She is otherwise very healthy, crop always full (much to my amazement) as she is the lowest of the flock and spends a lot of time running away as well as staying close to the main group.

I have her inside at night she settles quickly after she has her meloxicam morning and night. She is getting used to cuddles and slow movement when she is with us.

My Q hence being in this section is housing. I have her on soft bedding in a cage but what about day time? Where should she be? Outside with the flock or inside in her cage?

She won't eat in the cage or poo (main reason I let her out)

Should I strap it? Where? It's not really worse except when she is stiff in the morning. There are no breaks I'd say more like a ligament at the top of her leg she keeps her claws tight at all times - I prise them and stretch which she doesn't like but it's after she has her med so not as painful.

I have heard it takes approximately 4 wks without being used? I have a much smaller house area for new arrivals and am wondering if I should put heaps of hay down with feed for the day time??

She is one of my best hens and with pain control while required until she is up and about I don't want to lose her. Any advice?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:21 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Dotti, if she is otherwise healthy I can see no need to keep her inside all day.
Your small pen sounds ideal, especially if she can see and interact with the others without risking being hurt. Make sure that it is protected from cold winds etc and don't put down too much straw (trip hazard for her) She will exercise as much as is comfortable for her - hopefully there will be a slow improvement.
Strapping? Probably not unless there is an obvious injury and difficult to do if it in the hip area. It sounds as if she eases with some exercise (arthritis?)
I have 2 elderly hens with crook legs. They live with the rest of the flock, are in excellent condition and well integrated. They will stay here as pensioners or until their condition begins to deteriorate and indicates that they are in pain.

I am a little concerned about the tight claw. What is the position of her leg when she is lying down?
Does the leg have resistance when you push against it?
Does she weight bear on it?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:58 am 

Thanks I have been worrying about her for a few wks. She is just a yr old. I put her out in the morning for the day but initially it is stiff. She does lift her leg at various times during the day but can walk on the leg and it is normal. The other chooks chase her but she does sit down on her side position is normal. No resistance but indicates pain when the leg is pushed up. The other leg is fine in the same position. The limp is consistent but I will fix that pen for her today. It is well protected on 3 sides.