Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Recommended feeding meal for isa brown

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:22 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:45 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi everyone, just got 10 x isa brown chooks around 15months I know they are a bit old but they went for 5bucks each, to question

I live on farm that I work at, would be ok give chooks Lupins , wheat, barley, canola all fresh harvest grain seeds

Not sure how much grams of each stuff I give per chook, should any be blended or soak , just trying keep cost down and was going to buy laying pallets

Cheers, sorry if I miss something my first post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:33 am 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

Yes you can feed Lupins, barley and wheat to your hens. The lupins and barley will need to be cracked so the hens can eat them. Lupins should probably make up about 30 % of the diet as they are the only thing you have that has high protein.

Hens will also eat canola but it is very high in fat, so you probably want to limit it to 10% or so if the diet.

The diet will need to have a little salt (about 0.5%) and shell grit or crushed limestone to supply calcium. Robably it's easiest to just make the shell grit freely available.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:45 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

A quick search of mr interweb said no more than 40% 'sweet' lupins and 10% full fat canola. The lupins have alkaloids that are an issue and pectins that mean decreased dry matter conversion and increased water retention leading to watery droppings and poor performance if the percentage is to high. The full fat canola can lead to fishy off flavours in eggs (enzyme issue).

I observe in fascination a worm move by peristaltic action through the freshly turned earth as I plant out my chilies. Grasping the Annelid I toss it to the waiting pack of beady-eyed vultures and watch the ensuing mayhem while laughing like a chook!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:02 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thanks for info by crack you mean smaller bits and do I keep Lupins shell , cheers

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:59 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Personally, I'd go with pellets or mash as their basic diet and supplement with grains in the afternoon.
Commercial hybrid layers such as ISA have a need for a high protein and high calcium diet which is properly balanced with other nutrients. Their high egg output puts a big strain on their bodies and they easily become malnourished.
If you do feed a home made grain mix (and many do so successfully) you might like to consider adding a commercial vitamin/mineral premix. Ideally you need to bring the available protein to at least 15% of total diet. The other issue with grain mixes is no matter how well balanced the blend is, they will still select their favourite grains (and the lupins will not be one of them)
:doh

In terms of quantity to feed - an average hen eats 100 -125 g of food a day
But - do you have average hens? Is that quantity of food good enough quality to meet their nutritional needs?
And - that figure changes according to the weather, if they are laying or not, if they are moulting, if they are off the lay and building up reserves pre lay, how active they are, etc, etc
So - best to have basic food available all day and supplement with grain/treats.

and yes 'cracked' means crushed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:55 pm 
Wise Wyandotte
Wise Wyandotte

luke.clavey wrote:
Thanks for info by crack you mean smaller bits and do I keep Lupins shell , cheers

Yes break into smaller bits. You'll find they probably don't eat much of the seedcoat. It's fibrous and not very nutritious so it's no big deal if they don't eat it.