Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Eggs shells - Too much calcium

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:32 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:11 pm 

Hi there

My hens are in their first year of laying and progressively started laying on 16th June, based on today, six hens, six eggs, they are all now laying (I'm not going to tell them its winter).

I've noticed that some of the eggs have some minor defects, which upon research suggests they may be due to an excess of calcium in their diet. Three examples are, small calcium deposits on outside of egg, inconsistent/mottled colour of the egg and occasionally some pinky/purple eggs. Nothing too dramatic, but I want to make sure to balance their diets correctly.

They have free access to layer pellets (Golden Yolk) and shell grit. They have a large grassed run (I rotate them through three weekly), each run is 2m x 10m, plus a 6mx8m scratch run which they can access all day, so they are semi free range - the foxes here don't make it safe for total free range. They share a 1/2 cup of grain mix in the morning and any greens or treats I find for them, if there's any left over from dinner the night before. At the moment, because its very cold here, if I'm home before they go to bed at night they also share a 1/4 cup of cracked corn.

The flock consists of two very large Australorps, two Barnies and two Welsummers. I would say the only eggs that don't ever seem effected are the Welsummers. The Australorp's seem to be the most effected.

Any thoughts on why I'm seeing this? Is it common in the first year of lay while they sort out their cycles and settle into the job?

Last edited by shelley.donald on Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:49 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

I wouldn't be worried. Their diet/lifestyle sounds perfect.
First eggs are often not to standard and none of them points to any health issues in young birds. None of the eggs are abnormal - only supermarket eggs are all perfect and identical.
They will access the self serve shell grit as they need it - too much calcium is more of a risk when it is mixed into general feed.

Great mix of chooks.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:28 pm 

Ok great, thank you.

The shells are certainly tough enough and the taste amazing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:22 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

I have two young Australorps who have started laying recently and one is laying eggs with tiny calcium deposits over them (lots of tiny balls clustered together). I know her diet is good (90% Laucke Showbird) so I'm not worried at this point.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:30 pm 

Well since that post the shells have changed again in two ways. There are less signs of excess calcium - tick...and the eggs of the Welsummers and Barnies have started to get darker - second tick. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:41 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

:yess

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:09 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

That's good! :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:42 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Yes,None of the eggs are abnormal - only supermarket eggs are all perfect and identical.
They will access the self serve shell grit as they need it - too much calcium is more of a risk when it is mixed into general feed.