Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - First chooks- getting hens from two different places?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:57 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:55 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

I’ve been lurking for months- gathering so much information from this amazing forum, thanks.

We are hoping to get our first chooks sometime in the next month or so.We have just been offered the option to rehome two lovely Orpington hens (now approx 12 months old) from a friend of a friend. They live about 2 hours away, but we have two small kids, these hens are very cuddly and sound perfect for us.

My only hesitation is that i know 3 or 4 chooks is better in terms of their social nature- so our plan was to have more than two chooks. Our enclosed run is about 2m x 5m so i gather we have enough room for at least 3 to live fairly happily.

My question is, if we take these two lovely Orpingtons, should we try and get very organised and source two other hens at the same time?

If yes-
1. would it be best to have them all arrive on the same day? I wonder if having no status of old vs new hens make the settling in process/ establishing pecking order lower stress... or is that a problem in terms of quarantine/disease issues?
2. If we were to look for other hens, should they be at least a certain age?
3. I wonder if getting two bantams might be a good idea as the Orpingtons look HUGE, our space isn’t massive and they alone will lay more than enough eggs for our family.
4. Any other suggestions?

It may well be easier just to try and find 3 pullets from somewhere else, but finding chooks that are friendly with the kids is my top priority, so rehoming these orpingtons seems like a good idea.

Looking forward to hearing any wise BYP advice.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:11 am 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Welcome to the forum :)

I’d just start with the two and then add a couple more in a year or two. That way you will not end up with chooks that all get old and stop laying together. It’s best to have an age range if you want a steady supply of eggs (though they’ll all stop laying in winter as I’m sure you know).

Just enjoy these two Orpingtons for a while and get into a routine with them :) Two will be absolutely fine together. The only number you can’t have is one.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:18 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Ah... that sounds sensible!

Probably overthinking it, which is not unusual for me.

We’ll just have to hope that our efforts at making things Fox-proof have worked

Thanks for you suggestion.