Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Crowing Hens

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:57 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Crowing Hens
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:55 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi guys,

I'm guessing there's nothing I can do about my crowing hens? Unfortunately our coop and runs are alongside the fence and the neighbour's house is very close. Only about 4 or 5 metres from the fence line. Periodically one or more of my hens decides to start crowing. At the moment two of them are doing it, too early in the morning to be pleasant for our very nice neighbours.

I think perhaps the fact that the top hen is in a separate run at the moment with her chicks may have set them off? Is this possible?

I think I will have to start locking them in a crate in the shed overnight for a while, unless anyone has any other suggestions? One of them is getting quite good at crowing!!

ohjeez

Staffordshire Bull Terrier, a tripawd Beagle mix, 2 Pekins, a Bantam Light Sussex, a Bantam Salmon Faverolles, a Bantam Australian Langshan, a Bantam Plymouth Rock, a Bantam Brahma, a Bantam Australorp, a hive of bees and a family of boys.

Post subject: Re: Crowing Hens
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:53 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

This kind of thing is a pain... I’d say they’ll stop when Boss Hen returns. Until then I reckon boxing them is the way to go. I use a cat carrier inside the house (human house) for these occasions.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:37 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

The only way that I know to stop them crowing is to introduce a rooster and that will not solve your problem. Maybe if you change the pecking order somehow they will stop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:01 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Yes, it is a big pain 70%cocoa. I have started boxing them in a crate in the garage until 8am. Thankfully we have the space to do this. At our last house it would have been impossible. Have just taken them out and there is now loud, repeated crowing coming from the run. At least they don't seem to be crowing in the garage. I'm not sure how I'd change the pecking order Bender. But anyway, the one doing the most crowing is at the bottom of the pecking order. Crazy chickens!

I'll certainly hope they stop when Vita Sackville-Watson rejoins the group. If she can ever tear herself away from her adored babies!

Staffordshire Bull Terrier, a tripawd Beagle mix, 2 Pekins, a Bantam Light Sussex, a Bantam Salmon Faverolles, a Bantam Australian Langshan, a Bantam Plymouth Rock, a Bantam Brahma, a Bantam Australorp, a hive of bees and a family of boys.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:13 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Ridiculous situation here. I'm now keeping all 4 chickens in the garage overnight each night because when I locked up the Langshan and the Faverolles (who were the ones crowing) a few days later the Pekins started crowing!

In the meantime, Vita is having a lovely time mothering her babies all by herself...

As Obelix would say, 'These chickens are crazy'.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:18 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Is it possible to darken their pen (enough to delay dawn)- perhaps with a dbl shade cloth blind? If this worked it would be easier than night boxing and might be more comfortable for them on hot nights.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:23 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks Sue. I'm not sure it would be possible due to the number of sources of light and the large size of the 2 coops. It might also then make the coops so stuffy overnight that they aren't so comfortable. The garage thing is a nuisance and not great because it's creating a smell, but reasonably comfortable for the hens as they are in large dog crates.