Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Layer pellets and daily rations

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:33 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:40 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I'm new to keeping backyard chickens. What layer pellets does everyone use? I'm also wondering what other food items do you give on a daily/ weekly and monthly basis do you give them. I want happy, healthy and a little spoilt chickens. Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:46 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Hi healzam - I like to keep it simple and use products formulated for chooks as the main diet. About 80% of their diet is min, 16% protein layer pellets (esp for the high out put layers. A handful of) Scratch mix in the late afternoon/evening to reinforce returning to the right place at bed time and occasional fresh fruit/ veges and kitchen scraps in small quantities as a treat.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:16 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

sue55 wrote:
Hi healzam - I like to keep it simple and use products formulated for chooks as the main diet. About 80% of their diet is min, 16% protein layer pellets (esp for the high out put layers. A handful of) Scratch mix in the late afternoon/evening to reinforce returning to the right place at bed time and occasional fresh fruit/ veges and kitchen scraps in small quantities as a treat.

Hi sue55
Can you explain a little more what you mean 80% min? What do you mean by min? Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:09 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

As it is so close to Christmas Sue may be a little busy.

80% of the diet should consist solely of good quality layer pellets. Good quality means a minimum of 16% protein to enable egg production. Grain mixes can be problematic as the hens choose to eat the bits they like, leaving the rest and therefore do not get a balanced diet.

They should always have access to clean, fresh water and once laying should have free access to shell grit and grit (if they free range they tend to find the grit for themselves).

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:23 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Kirane wrote:
As it is so close to Christmas Sue may be a little busy.

80% of the diet should consist solely of good quality layer pellets. Good quality means a minimum of 16% protein to enable egg production. Grain mixes can be problematic as the hens choose to eat the bits they like, leaving the rest and therefore do not get a balanced diet.

They should always have access to clean, fresh water and once laying should have free access to shell grit and grit (if they free range they tend to find the grit for themselves).

Thank you

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:15 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

What brands does everyone use?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:48 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Most serious chook keepers use Laucke's Showbird Breeder - a lot because it's recommended by people who exhibit and do well at poultry shows, so proved to be top quality. Nothing else really necessary, it is a total requirement pellet.

Every brand and manufacturer seems to have a following: some for performance, some for economy, some because it was recommended by someone else.

I like Lauckes - but I also like Purastock Layer Pellets made by Ben Furney Mills - not as expensive but chooks do well on it. And I often used Purastock General Purpose pellets, because they are safe for sheep, ponies etc as well as chooks, as no risky additives. With a small slosh of Anitone to up the vitamin-mineral value.

At present I'm using a crushed grain mix direct from the grower (equal parts wheat, barley, oats, lupins). Again chooks seem happy, laying well and raising healthy chicks.

Also aside from adding some greenleaf vegies and shellgrit, I believe keeping ahead of mites, lice and worms are probably more important issues than choosing between chook food brands, the 'best' feed won't do them any more good than the worst if scaly leg mites and worms are wrecking their health.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:27 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

It depends a bit where you live and what is available. Lauke might be good, but i have never seen it where I am! I use Milne (a WA one)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:25 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

PossumCorner wrote:
Most serious chook keepers use Laucke's Showbird Breeder - a lot because it's recommended by people who exhibit and do well at poultry shows, so proved to be top quality. Nothing else really necessary, it is a total requirement pellet.

Every brand and manufacturer seems to have a following: some for performance, some for economy, some because it was recommended by someone else.

I like Lauckes - but I also like Purastock Layer Pellets made by Ben Furney Mills - not as expensive but chooks do well on it. And I often used Purastock General Purpose pellets, because they are safe for sheep, ponies etc as well as chooks, as no risky additives. With a small slosh of Anitone to up the vitamin-mineral value.

At present I'm using a crushed grain mix direct from the grower (equal parts wheat, barley, oats, lupins). Again chooks seem happy, laying well and raising healthy chicks.

Also aside from adding some greenleaf vegies and shellgrit, I believe keeping ahead of mites, lice and worms are probably more important issues than choosing between chook food brands, the 'best' feed won't do them any more good than the worst if scaly leg mites and worms are wrecking their health.

Thank you for your response. It's all very much appreciated.