Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Chicken stopped sleeping inside her coop

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:08 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:14 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi,

I have two white sussex chickens that I raised by hand. They're called Janssen and Jansen, but to avoid confusion, let's call them chicken A and chicken B :-)
Ever since I moved them to the garden (with their coop) over 6 months ago, they've slepped inside the coop, on the roosting bar.
I locked them in one night and ever since then, they went inside every night to sleep.
However, since about four weeks, chicken B stopped going inside to sleep.
I've added a picture of their coop, just for clarity, so you guys can picture what I'm talking about.
So chicken B sleeps either under the coop that's a bit above the ground, or outside all together, under the nesting box that's to the left of the coop.
I have no idea why she does this. I kind of excluded everything I could find on this forum: it's not a pecking order thing, since they never fight. I don't think it's a blood lice problem, since chicken A is perfectly happy sleeping inside. It's not the imaginary nest thing, where she thinks she's hatching eggs, since she sleeps on different locations.
First I thought she 'forgot' how to get up the ladder, but she still lays her eggs in the nesting box, so that's not possible either.
I kind of feel sorry for chicken B, since it's pretty cold here (I live in Belgium), so every night I pick her up and put her halfway up the ladder, and she climbs up and goes to sleep next to her sister.

Does anyone have any idea why my chicken is sleeping outside and how I can prevent this? Thanks!

Attachments:
File comment: This is my chickens coop
kippenren.jpg
kippenren.jpg [ 28.09 KiB | Viewed 1045 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:02 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Try putting a small light in the coop at dusk. She may be attracted to that. On this side of the world I would use a solar path light at the entrance to the coop so that it could recharge during the day and 'light the way at night' I have also used the ones with a separate solar charger - mounted that on the roof of the coop and installed the light inside but that only works if the coop is well lit during the day or the light will stay on during the day (some are available with a remote control)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:32 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

My three chickens have taken to sleeping ‘outside’ too, on a perch outside the enclosed part of their coop. It’s their preference and I just let them do it. They are fine :) So, provided your chicken is out of the rain, I wouldn’t worry about it too much if you can’t persuade her to sleep indoors.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:26 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

sue55 wrote:
Try putting a small light in the coop at dusk. She may be attracted to that. On this side of the world I would use a solar path light at the entrance to the coop so that it could recharge during the day and 'light the way at night' I have also used the ones with a separate solar charger - mounted that on the roof of the coop and installed the light inside but that only works if the coop is well lit during the day or the light will stay on during the day (some are available with a remote control)

I've read about this, but I was never sure really how to do this. So I put a light inside, and then I switch it off when the chickens are inside and when it's totally dark outside? Because I can imagine the light is disturbing if it's on all night.
The solar light wouldn't work for me, since the coop is in the shade almost all day, but I'm sure I could find some other type of ligth that would work.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:29 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Yep turn it off when they are settled. The advantage of the solar is that it will run out of charge and turn it self off. You don't need much sun to get a short result - or you could charge in the sun and put in the pen before dusk - then at least you wouldn't need to go back and turn it off.
Hopefully if you establish a habit you won't need to continue with the light.