Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Coop problem, help required please

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:45 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:40 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

14 months ago we moved on our chooks as we were selling our house and weren't going to be able to keep them. Long story short the s*** has hit the fan and we're stuck where we are.

Now i want to get chooks back and i need to make a few changes to the coop to fix some issues we had before.

Previously the run has turned into a stinky sloppy mess in winter. Cleaning out and adding lime didnt help and the poor chooks looked terrible and the area stank. I dont want a repeat of this. I was thinking that i could add some polycarbonate sheeting on the roof of the run to reduce the amount of rain that actually gets into the run. But i fear it will create excessive heat in summer.

I do have a free range area for them but I only let them out when I'm not working which is only about 35-40% of the time.

Any suggestions to help the problem will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Damian

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:38 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi Damian,
I think it would to be easier to offer ideas if you could post some pics of your current run/area.
We put polycarb sheets on our run roof and it definitely helped reduce the soggy goop in winter, but our "inner coop" walls are aviary mesh, and there's plenty of breeze and shade to keep things cooler in summer. What worked for us might not work in a different situation. Pics will definitey help! :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:51 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Cheers. Check out the pics in this thread
viewtopic.php?t=8022252

Thats in the build stage. The coop is at the southern end with the run at the northern end. I faced it this way so the prevailing winds weren't blowing right in to the coop door

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:20 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Putting a roof on will help. Another option would be to raise the floor height. You could do that by putting in treated pine sleepers around the inside wall of the pen to create a 20cm high retaining wall all round the inner mesh wall of the pen. Then fill the sleeper retaining wall with stuff like wood shavings, pine bark, wood chips etc. That’ll bring the floor up above the slush. The chooks will continually turn it over and over and their poop will mix with and break down in the mulch. That won’t smell. Add extra shavings/tan bark etc to keep the level topped up.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:03 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

What Rach said. I would cover at least the house end of the run with something waterproof and maybe shade mesh on the other end for shade and some rain protection.
A deep layer of sand as a base to raise the floor level will help with drainage and is easily cleaned or topped up and it good on the garden if your soil is heavy.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:05 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

So the general consensus is that the polycarbonate sheeting wont cause a heat issue? It'd only be on the roof so plenty of breeze through still.

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:30 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

I have poly carbonate on mine and it is fine.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:07 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Yep. I think if most or all the roof is covered, it is better. If you don't have natural shade, perhaps think about putting some opaque sheets amongst the clear. Something else to consider is that all the rain water is going to be diverted somewhere, possibly to the edge where you would be accessing the coop, unless you slope the sheets the other way... :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:42 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Okaru wrote:
Yep. I think if most or all the roof is covered, it is better. If you don't have natural shade, perhaps think about putting some opaque sheets amongst the clear. Something else to consider is that all the rain water is going to be diverted somewhere, possibly to the edge where you would be accessing the coop, unless you slope the sheets the other way... :)

Thanks, yeah I plan to slope the sheets to the "back" so no worries there.

No natural shade but I did have a third of the outdoor pen covered with shade cloth in the past and i thought id do the same or plant a climbing plant like passionfruit or something to grow over the top

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:25 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Yep, sorry,...... didn't mean to make out you wouldn't think of that. When we decided to cover our coop, there was no other way to put the sheets on, except so they drip on you when you are trying to go in. The back half of the coop was always covered, a bit like yours. We had exactly the same problem you described with the wet in winter and decided to cover it in. Except, the way the roof was on the back, we would have had to do a total reconstruct to run the water in a different direction than directly to the door. Mr O is a not ready to think about guttering yet......... :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:37 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

That's easily fixed.
Put on some inappropriate footwear (pair of your stilettos) Grab a stool, a hammer and some screws and proceed to install the guttering yourself. I used to have the kids trained to yell
"Dad - you'd better come and see what mum's doing"

Worked every time :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:34 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Gosh, I should have thought of that..... Breaks out into a cold sweat every time I touch the cordless drill....... :doh
:rofl: