Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - One of my chooks is traumatized after surviving a fox attack

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:08 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:40 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hi we had a fox get into our yard and kill 3 of our 5 chooks and one was missing we assumed the fox had taken that one but we found the missing one the next morning hidden in the lean to where we store our firewood, she was caught by the fox but managed to get away (we think we disturbed the fox) she is physically okay except for missing a few tail feathers, however she is very traumatized and won't venture out of the coop and sits in the corner near the nesting boxes I have read that I should separate her from the rest of the chickens whilst she recovers however as we only have 2 chickens now and they are very social birds and like the company I am concerned that this may not be the best thing for the other surviving chicken who was found at the time and spent the first night inside a box in the house and now seems to be fine. Basically I want to do what is best for both of these girls just not sure what that is.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:03 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Sorry to hear that you had a fox attack - they are merciless killers.
Check your chook over thoroughly beak to butt, for any hidden puncture wounds or tender/bruised spots. If every thing seems intact, put her back in her familiar place with her buddy provided it is now extra secure, as the fox is very likely to return.
She will recover from the shock best if she is in her 'comfort zone'

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:09 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

i would keep them together and dont rush her. She will come out when she is ready, assuming she is not injured under the feathers (have a check. Provide a few treats she enjoys by the door to try and entice her, but dont force her. She will come around when she is ready.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:44 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thanks everyone when I got home from work yesterday she was walking around in the coop which is a big improvement on huddling in the corner so we decided to leave them together in the coop last night she was thoroughly checked over when we found her the morning after, the fox got them when they were free ranging in the backyard (unfortunately the end of daylight savings has thrown our routine off we always put them away after dinner about 7.30 but it's now well and truly dark by then have set alarms on both mine and my partners phones to put them away before it gets dark) the coop is definitely secure, steel mesh buried about 5-10cm under the dirt and fully enclosed with either timber, laserlite, heavy duty chicken wire or steel.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:54 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Good to hear.
Thanks for the feed back.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:08 pm 
Golden Kingfisher
Golden Kingfisher

Really sorry you and your chickens have had this awful experience.

I would keep your two girls in the coop 24/7 for a few weeks as that fox will be back for sure, and maybe in the daylight.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:01 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Yes, I agree with keeping them locked up for a while. Foxes definitely come in daylight.