Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - bird seed

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:16 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: bird seed
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:59 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

hi guys,
why is it that my 8 chooks have all gone off theyre laucke number 17 and showbird breeder pellets which they've never liked anyway,and are starving themselves to wait for the little bit of budgie mix that my lovebirds shot out ?? how bad must chook food taste if they wait for these tiny millet seeds and go nuts on them ? I'm tempted to throw handfuls of that to them instead as their proper food is just sitting there collecting weavils :dontknow they've even gone off the scratch mix and ive tried two different brands,its birdseed or nothing.anyone have any tips or suggestions for me ?
thanks

[color=#008040],1 x buff leghorn,2 x gold spangled hamburgs,1 x white araucana,2 x bantam rir,1 x blue barnevelder[/color]

Post subject: Re: bird seed
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:46 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Stop giving them access to the area where they can access bird seed!

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:20 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Maybe try mixing some of the bird seed with their layer pellets and over a period of time reduce the amount of bird seed you mix in. My girls love some seed and I throw a handful in their coop when I put them away each night and mix some in with their pellets when I put fresh pellets out (I only have 2 chooks thanks to a a fox some more will come soon) will check when I get home exactly what it is my partner bought it for them but I believe it was in the chicken feed section where we get their pellets from.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 4:09 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

thanks for that,i have aviaries all around the yard so keeping them away is not possible,i'll have to let them do it I suppose just means the chook food will last a really long time :roll:

[color=#008040],1 x buff leghorn,2 x gold spangled hamburgs,1 x white araucana,2 x bantam rir,1 x blue barnevelder[/color]

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 10:44 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

It's really in their best interest for laying health to eat mostly a food manufactured or laying or breeding hens. Can you keep them shut in with 'chook food' for the morning and allow them out after they have had breakfast and lunch?

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 10:16 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

The seed we have is Peters Poultry Mix and it has 15% protein my partner got it at our local Pet Stock Store it's more expensive than the layer pellets but we mix some in with the layer pellets our chooks love it but they only share a handful if we remember when we put them away each night and we also put another handful in with their pellets when we put out fresh pellets for the which usually lasts 2 or 3 days.

https://www.petstock.com.au/product/chi ... 20kg/49729

We got a 5kg from our local Pet Stock for around $10-$12.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 7:03 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

I have plenty of aviaries too and let the chooks out in the arvo, they love the spilt seed to, but still eat the layer pellets.., i also frow the old seed when a feed the birds on the weekend, which they love , don't seem to have chooks ignoring the pellets. Just deny them access to the seed until the arvo and see what happens.