Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Front heavy Rooster

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:17 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Front heavy Rooster
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 2:18 pm 

I have a 6 month old Blue Australorp Rooster that seems to be front heavy, he is always on his haunches when eating or resting. He can get up and run around but 70% of the time he is hunched over, head down bum up.. He almost seems to get off balance at times.. Does anybody have any ideas ?

Attachments:
20180520_162535.jpg
20180520_162535.jpg [ 2.31 MiB | Viewed 373 times ]
20180520_162432.jpg
20180520_162432.jpg [ 2.55 MiB | Viewed 373 times ]

Post subject: Re: Front heavy Rooster
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:03 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

He looks pretty big for 6 months. Sometimes the heavy breed teenage males growth rate outstrips their leg strength. I find it best to keep them a bit lean if that is happening.
A vitamin supplement with the B vitamins may help with muscle strength, and make him exercise for some of his food - scatter some rather than putting it 'on a plate' for him and give him some lucerne biscuits to scratch through when he is penned.
If it is just adolescence he should out grow it

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:12 pm 

Thanks Sue55 , I've kept him as my main breeding male so really hope he comes good .. I do have another Black Rooster from the same hatch, also a big boy but very upright.. Complete different body shapes.. Thanks for your reply.. :-)

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 1:39 am 
Great Game
Great Game

sue55 wrote:
…. If it is just adolescence he should out grow it.

Never seen it in a chook, but that makes sense. A lot of horses are "bum high" as youngsters, and that's a severe show-ring fault. Many grow out of it to have correct conformation. It would be interesting Scott to see how your rooster looks once he is well over twelve months.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:56 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Croad Langshans have a bit of a reputation for it - long gangly legs and heavy body just don't always work.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:36 pm 

Since posting this I've noticed him fall over onto his side a couple of times and just now seen one of the pullets from the same nest looking a bit wobbly on her feet.. geez hope its nothing sinister..

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:23 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Can you tell us a bit more about them?
Did you breed them? Parental diet?
Buy them, or as eggs?
What is their current/baby diet?
Any chance of toxins - access to compost, damp feed, baits, herbicides, pesticides - run off?
Have they been wormed? If so with what?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:35 pm 

Hi Sue55,
They look healthy enough so not sure what's going on..
A bit of history for you. Fertile eggs were given to me by a neighbour when one of my hens went clucky. So hatched by hen , free ranged and supplemented with chick starter/crumble, mashed boiled eggs and all table scraps.. Then onto budget layer or similar and poultry mix. They do free range daily where they have access to stables , horse poo etc. They are possibly a little cramped in the hen house at the moment while am still building the new chook house.. Everything else is pretty normal really... Checked out the pullet again and it looks more like a hurt leg (different to the rooster.. )

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:54 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

No alarm bells ringing there and hopefully 2 different problems.
Not many people realise the value of horse poo to chooks - it's a great source of partially digested grains and probiotics.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:34 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Lani's Croads
Message subject: Re: Front heavy RoosterFolder: Sent messages
Hi Scott,
I have bred Croad Langshans now since 2009 and I do get issues with the males growing too fast for their legs. I had one cockerel once again this year. He was the only one I wanted to keep for breeding and showing so persevered with him. The rest I culled as they had other faults not worth keeping.
This year I decided to dilute all their feed so that they all grew slowly. I use Laucke Starter, Pullet Grower and now their breeders ration. When they got to 6 weeks I halved the pullet grower with canary seed to cut down my protein. My cockerel was sitting with his bum down between his legs touching the ground which looked really weird and not walking around much at all - having to sit all the time. Eventually he came good so I wouldn't give up on him just be patient. He was born in September but by my photos in March he was doing ok. Your boy looks much bigger than my boy at 6 months and I have bigger birds. Maybe he eats more than he should. I seperated my boy from his sisters at 4 months and watched how much he needed to eat throughout the day and that is all he got. Some other Croad breeders said last year that they only give their birds half a handful per two birds a day but I felt they were starving with that amount. Maybe I'm a softee as still hungry.

Lana

Hi Scott,
Just isolating him might help because he is not showing off for the girls as well. He might be eating because he is going through a big growth spurt. I have found at those times my cockerels sometimes might even peck at his sisters and chase them away to get the feed first as don't want to miss out. Not being nasty to them but just that they are hungry. I prefer that the cockerels don't start working till 8 months at least but I'm sure you as a breeder would find the same. I don't want them to experience problems with hocks and muscle weakness because they start working too early because as we know they show an interest early when they are lanky teenagers and he surely must be trying to tread at the age he is. I hope it works out well. I use a small dish for him and put an amount in and at the end of the day see how much he needed.

Lana

(Copied from private message I sent to Scott for others to see for future reference) Lana