Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Chicken death!

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:16 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Chicken death!
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:30 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Thanks so much everyone for your answers and support!

Post subject: Re: Chicken death!
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:27 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

For what it's worth, I will relate a couple of experiences from our place......
Whenever there has been a "drop everything" type of commotion in our coops, there has been a predator of some kind. Luckily, our dog has lately matured to be a reasonable protector of the flock. (he's a pussy really, but proud of myself if he does something great)
So, we have had snakes, eagles/hawks and foxes have a go at our chooks
I doubt a fox or dog would leave just a little bit of blood. ( how much blood was there?, do you know it was from the hen?) if they attack, I think you would see more carnage, especially if they could not get the chook they just killed out of the coop. (meaning, feathers everywhere and stuff in disarray).... I doubt a snake bite would leave a pool of blood. (Though we have seen snakes in the coop, we've never lost any hens to a snake...... Reality is, therefore, my statement is an assumption.)

A hawk would clean lift a hen with it's talons and simply fly away. This has happened with 2 younger birds we had.......
What are we left with? Confrontation, panic or something similar. It is possible your Wyandotte got herself into strife defending herself or the rest of the flock from predators unknown, because she panicked. A face-off with another hen does not seem usual unless the ISA was pushy. If she was pushy, she would probably have become the alpha hen....... For that reason, I wouldn't blame the ISA..... I think you said the wyandotte was alpha hen. I think she might have been bravely protecting the flock. I hope you can give her the sendoff she deserves........ :-(