Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Two broody chooks at once

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:33 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:59 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi all. Two of my flock of 7 have gone broody together. I only have one broody box. Should I get them to share it, or treat them one at a time?

We only have 2 nest boxes, so two broodies means no room for the rest to lay.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:35 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

if you put them in a debroody cage together they will probably cuddle up to generate heat, so it probably wont work. Id go one at a time.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:00 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

They might both have been broody for a while now and if so, it might be hard to make them change their minds.

I'm not sure whether by broody box you meant somewhere to hatch young, or somewhere to discourage brooding. Either way, if they are firm in their resolutions and you only let one hatch eggs, the other might keep on being broody and lose condition.......

What you end up doing might depend on how much space you have. I know people say you should not leave brooding hens in the main area, but you could remove one to the broody arrea (assuming that's what broody box was) and leave the other in a nest box until the chicks hatch. That leaves one nest box for your other girls. You will need to mark those eggs in case someone decides to add to the nest....

I frequently have more than one hen broody. Co-parenting works for my docile breeds. I dont know the temperment of your girls. You need to be the judge of that and whether it will work for you.

You need to pay attention when hatching. Once the eggs have pipped, move everyone in the nesting box to a quiet area so the hatch can go on without curious onlookers in the coop.

Good luck! Tell us what happened. ;-)