Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Footscray Auction at Bacchus Marsh 9th October Bookings Open

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:39 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:35 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Omg lots of people is all I can say!!!

Would love to hear people's thoughts n how there day went!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:35 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Nice to put some faces to names.
Met lots of really nice and helpful people.
Lots of variety.
LOADS of people. Had no idea it would be sol popular...is it normally this popular?
As new comers, i thought when they said no bids after 12.30pm that it mean no bids after 12.30pm. My kids were outbid at 12.40pm by some one who was just trying to cheat and get his own way when he had obviously been outbid by my kids. He even admitted it when i spoke to him...not much you can do, there are wankers everywhere.

Otherwise, it was a great day! More room to move through and i reckon sellers would get higher bids...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:46 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Quote:
LOADS of people. Had no idea it would be sol popular...is it normally this popular?

That had to be the biggest crowd yet at the sale. It has been very busy for the few years I have been with the club-and growing with each sale.

Had a great day despite not feeling 100%

Sales... Very happy with bringing nothing home, the girls going to Bendigo are safely on their way and I have about 30 less mouths to feed tonight.

Surprise sale of the day was the pen of 3 goslings for $100.

Thanks to all who sold bought, I hope everyone is happy with their purchases. A big thanks again to the Footscray club members and others for their hard work and organisation for the day.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:54 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I was really surprised by how packed it was - did the sausage sizzle sell out? My boyfriend tried to get one later in the morning but nothing on the grill.

I won my mixed trio (silver laced wynadotte, black australorp and lavender araucana - thanks for putting that pen together for me Mel!) I got caught up in a bidding war with someone who would only bid $1 extra on them everytime I bid, and ended up going over budget by $20! Still, am happy with my ladies, although I think they're scaring my Isa Browns!

There were some beautiful blue australorps I saw. Not sure who was selling them, but I'd be interested in one in the future! I also fell in love with the goslings and wasn't surprised they sold for a lot. There was a big crowd around them - pity my council won't let me have any though :(

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:10 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Congratulations to the Club for having put on yet another fantastic!! sale, great to see such a large crowd or earger poultry folk. We travel two hours to get there and it was really great to see another five fanciers from our area in attendance. Just goes to show the popularity of this event. To the hard working committee CONGRATULATIONS :thumbs: you are the leaders in Helmsman Auctions
Waiting on the NEXT one :biggrin:

"The day you say you know it all is the day you will learn nothing at all"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:57 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

Glad everyone had a good day, but really annoyed l had to work! :swords: Oh well, maybe next time... :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:15 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Another great Auction! I was happy to be a seller this year, and prices didn't disappoint. Sold all 12 pens...even if one of my roo's that was a $5 offer after the sale.

Cattaby wrote:
I won my mixed trio (silver laced wynadotte, black australorp and lavender araucana - thanks for putting that pen together for me Mel!)

Lol! Mum told me I was mad putting three that were so different in the same pen! :wink:

Big thanks to Jack for putting up with my weekly emails requesting more pens (lol!) and to all the other club members who no doubt worked hard to make it all happen.

JPete wrote:
not much you can do, there are wankers everywhere.

There must have been 2 of the above in the pavilion today.. or possibly the same one? This one bid on one of my pens, and was outbid by $1. (The bloke making the $1 bid spoke little English and wasn't aware of the $2 minimum bid rule.. which looking at most of the other cards around, a lot of people didn't realise; including me!)

Instead of doing what a reasonable, sensible person would have done, he waited until the auction had finished, and fronted me with the card. Waving it in my face he declared that the winning bid (that was higher than his by $1) was invalid, therefore he was the winner of the pen. At that point I told him not to be stupid, if he wanted the pen he should have bid higher or pointed out the $2 min rule before the end of the auction. By this stage the winning bidder had already paid and was coming back to get the birds.

At that point he starts yelling at the buyer who had returned, waving a poster with the $2 min rule in his face. Realising that he is getting no where, he tells me that he is going to sue me, so I better watch out! :rofl: After a rather heated exchange which drew plenty of attention he stormed off yelling over his shoulder that I will be hearing from Consumer Affairs and his lawyer. Resisting the temptation to flick him the bird I took down his buyer number to report to the club. What a knob.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:29 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thats a shame you had to experience that :(

So glad i just gave a quick explanation and walked off, at least i drove the price up and the seller benifits :) Getting into a yelling match over a few chooks isnt my style, i will find what i need some some where some time :) Just a little disappointed at the blatant poor behaviour...still, glad i went and will likely go again maybe as a seller/buyer next time :).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:41 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Thanks to the club for another great day. Loved the goodie bags, feed scoops, and the cheap feed, yes it was very crowded, but that's great, more buyers and people interested in poultry.
Sold my fertile eggs $25, Plymouth Rock girls for $70, and my cross pullets for $20 each, came home with my cross chicks, I think people may have suspected they were roos but that's ok, will just grow them out.
Come home with NO birds!! Unheard of.... oh hang on did buy some Fertile RIR Bantam eggs, does that count? Also bought the double rolling nesting box, I have an egg eater, hope it may cause her some grief.
Great to catch up with some chookie friends and talk to some BYP members.
Great day but tired now.

Shell20_7 you always get a few in any crowd, well done on your sense of chicken humour too "flick him the bird" :rofl:
Barrabool

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:58 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Another great day, sooo many people! Always seems to be packed.

I was surprised at some of the reserves people had on their birds.... I saw a reserve of twice what we paid for two of the same bird at another auction about 3 months go. I know they could have been "superior" birds, but I also reckon its because Footscray auction is so well attended, it's definitely a sellers auction.

Having said that we did sell all the quail boys we took, and better still, we came home with no new birds.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:22 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Agree Mr W.

I sold everything I took, well except for a few feed barrels, but they'll keep until next time.

I think some people do need to have a think about the reserve prices they put on their pens

$80 for silver laced Wyandotte females, and not a single bid. Perhaps that should tell them something. To quote Dale Kerrigan "Tell 'em they're dreaming."

Ron

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:50 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I saw $60 reserves for individual Pekin Bantams!!

That seemed like a lot to me, having said that, good luck to them if they got their reserve

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:41 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Sounds like an interesting day had by all....

JPete I know wexactly who you are talking about, had i been there at the time, i would have said something...

I agree i had no idea what time they actually stopped the bidding... wasnt clear...

Taylors Ducks... are you Alicia? I wanted your goslings!!!! ARGH!! LOL

Was great to meet a few faces :thumbs:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:45 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Another one over.Good day too much chatting as usual.
Picked up a pair of moderns who I was outbid on at Euroa Last week so I am happy.

As far as reserve I think many prices are too low those pekins where worth more than that and when people complained about my reserve on my birds my reply to them if you come to my yard the price is 100 dollars a bird.
People want it for nothing well sorry not in my world. :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:04 pm 

I had a fantastic time!

It was very busy, and I found the amount of prams that were trying to get through the aisles pretty funny, I mean, there was barely any room for people to move, let alone if you were pushing a twin sized pram through! But I guess, people wanted to bring their chicks to see the chooks and didn't want them running around madly...? Not too sure. So I personally think it would've been a little better if it was a bit less crowded.

I also thought that it wasn't great that some of the birds (especially those in direct sunlight) didn't have any water and towards the end of the auction were panting and looking worse for wear... But other than those little finicky annoyances! I thought it was just great!

Had a whole lot of fun umming and ahhing over which bird to bid on and how much to bid! But I managed to buy my first chicken! Decided against my first choice of a wyandotte and instead went with a lovely buff sussex pullet from a Mr. Carter? (not sure if he's on here) And she seems like she's going to get on well with my ISA. We now have Ginger Baker (the ISA) and Jimmy Carter (the Sussex) haha, strange names, I know... Ginger seemed a bit put out by the newcomer at first, and has been giving her a few good pecks here and there, but she's not as bad as I worried she'd be, so I guess with a couple of days they'll be right as rain! I guess the fact that Jimmy still has a bit of growing to do and she's already slightly bigger than Ginger helps a bit too!

:chicks: Thanks to all who were involved in the organisation! It was fantastic all 'round! :chicks:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next