Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Protection from power cuts and other incubator failure

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:05 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 2:01 am 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

Hi All;
I am interested to hear the views from people with experience in using incubators. Paticularly people who own incubators they are happy with and get good results from .... BUT have still lost chicks through power outages, element/globe failure, tampering with temperature settings etc.

I have recently built a 12Volt DC temperature controller to use in DIY incubators, hatchers and brooders. It is about a 2 to 3 inch cube and has heater and fan. Regulation is using a digital sensor and it is microchip controlled ( It can be programmed to do what you want ). It is regulating well ( 37.5 deg plus and minus ) 0.125 degs in Tupperware containers with foam wrapped around them for insulation.

I believe this unit would be ideal as an independent PROACTIVE Temperature monitor that sits inside your incubator.

What it could do is the following;
Run off a 12V battery (or battery charger/battery combination).
Measure the temperature and if all OK go back to sleep for a period of time (Power conservation).
If temperature a bit low or a bit high light up an LED or sound a buzzer etc.
If temperature is too low (power outage or similar) then it would basically turn itself on and start working to keep temperature at 37.5 deg. It could sound a buzzer, flash LEDS to let you know there is something wrong. It would be "on the job, but letting you know".
If temperature is above a certain critical point it would turn the incubator off at the mains and again take over till you intervene. If temperature again comes below 37.5 deg it can turn main incubator back on and continue to monitor.

I would like views from you on what you think would be the appropriate temperatures to instigate the courses of action above.
Also I would like to hear your views, What's on your Wish List and any other ideas.
I won't be persuing this as a commercial product, but I wouldn't mind making a few and selling them and encouraging others to do the same and similar.

A good outcome would be letting people know what we want, showing it can be done and hopefully see some reasonably priced choice come onto the market.

Having recently seen the price they charge for the T20 Temperature Monitor, $280 US (it only sounds alarm if there's a problem) I believe you guys are getting ripped off. If they can't make that for around $30 AUS I'll go he.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 12:41 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Denis,

Nice!!

I will leave it to the incubator users to comment on their requirements as many people have their own ideas. Personnally, I think its a great idea but might be difficult on a retrofit to a commercial incubator...not much, but just maybe.

Your specs on the temperature is based on what volume?

J

Post subject: Incubator temps
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:28 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Sign of age ,I'll talkin Degrees F. Ideal range is 100 -101. Range should not be out of 99 -102. I can keep an electronic thermostat between 99.8-100.3,and a wafer between 98.8-100.8 in an airconditioned room,18 degrees C. Most incubators have a greater diurnal range in non airconditioned room,which are more the norm for most poultry breeders.
Lower temps are less dangerous,slow the hatch, high temps(>105F) kill.
I would be interested in talking to you privately.

Post subject: 12V units
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:33 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

At the moment all is going well with these units. Basically what I have come up with is (see pics) is small fan forced heatering units that I put in a tupperware containers, connect up 12Volts and you have an instant temperature regulated incubator.

This is what is the most basic model, it is programmed to regulate at 100 deg F so you just plug the 12 Volts in and you have an instant incubator/hatcher/brooder. I'm thinking this is very versatile and ideal for beginners. You place the sensor on top of the eggs and you get good temperature regulation especially at the sensor location.

This morning I have found the setting hen has rejected the first chick and the above brooder took 3 minutes to put together.

I have now put a prototype together that is the same as the basic model but has a secondary mode which I call the monitor made where it will sit (inside the main incubator)and do nothing while the temp is between 35 deg C and 40 degs C and power up when temp is below 35 and switch off the main incubator at mains while temp is above 40 degs C.

I would be interested in what you you would like to see available your dream product as it were .....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:44 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

Denis,

This is an excellent device and your mini hospital put together quickly, could become a necessity to the backyard chook person like myself.

J

Post subject: 12v heater/regulator
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:13 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

What is the price/availability? Email me privately if you don't want to go public at this stage. What would the constant operative durability be on a 12v wet cell?
David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:55 pm 
Discerning Duck
Discerning Duck

I have another idea for you, i show my chooks and before each sahow i like to wash them, now i dont get a chance every time because of the weather, how about making something up so you can place a chook init so it can dry off from the warmth