Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Egg turner idea...

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:33 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Egg turner idea...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:23 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Ok... I've got all the gear now to make my next incubator. The other one worked well so now I'm trying another and have this idea for an egg turner...

I've bought a small 5/6 rpm 240V motor that I'll gear down further still and have also bought a whole stack of worm gears and normal small gears from the model shop. The idea is that I am going to drive a single drive shaft from the small turning motor which has the screw gears spaced along it to synch in with the normal gears that are attached to roller bars. When the screw gears turn they will turn the rollers and the eggs sitting on the rollers will then also 'roll'. If that motor is too fast I have a 1/240 rpm 120V egg turning motor as well that I can put in with a 240v -> 120V transformer but I think the 5/6th will be fine.

Only one thing is troubling me... in the back of my mind I seem to remember something about eggs being turned in one direction only not hatchng as well as back and forward motion. Anyone heard about this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:22 am 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

Sounds pretty good.
I did rollers with my very first attempt. I used small motor and gearbox unit from Tamiya.
I just had a gear at the end of every roller to turn them. It was very fiddly to drill holes exactly the right space apart and took me ages and though frustrated I finally finished it. :oops: Of course when I turned it on every roller was spinning in an opposite direction to it's neighbor .. :oops: Good to see you have thought this through better than I did. I ended up making it all belt driven as isn't wasn't so critical to get everything perfect.

I gave the whole idea away because the eggs "walk" along the rollers. Putting eggs nose to nose or bum to bum helps a bit as does dividers and perhaps reversing. Tried all that but found I was still straightening out the eggs a couple of times a day .... which defeated the purpose of having an autoturn in the first place.
I've often wondered since why people always sit the eggs on rollers and not in tubes. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:02 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

When a chook sits on eggs she doesn't seem to be worried to much about how her eggs are turned does she? I mean they sit nose to bum etc under her? What would be the difference?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:16 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Sitting in tubes sounds like a plan 8)

A chook will roll them in random directions too. It was on the Classroom-coop forum that I remember reading it... something about unidirectional turning twisting the chalaza too much. See in his diagram:

From memory... the chalaza is meant to help keep the germinal disc upright during incubation and if the egg is turned in one direction all the time the chalaza twists tighter reducing it's ability to maintain the position of the blastoderm on the dorsal side of the egg... I just can't find the reference to it anywhere...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:54 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I found the reference....

http://www.the-coop.org/cgi-bin/UBB/ult ... 432#000006

I'm not sure it's true though because I also found this...

"The true action of the chalazae is to limit the motions of the yolk in the long axis od the egg, and control the rotation during a certain time; but in incubation the relations of the chalazae, white, and yolk are very soon changed; and in the progress of these changes, the remains of teh denser white are collected at the lower part of the egg. If a fresh egg be turned round on its long axis, the cicatricula will keep its position upwards for one turn or alittle more, and then, by the twisting of teh chalazae, the yolk is carried completely round, and balances itself again with the cicatricula uppermost in its new position".

Cyclopaedia of Anatomy and Physiology Vol V (supplementary Volume)
(http://books.google.com.au/books?id=wjo ... lt#PPR3,M1)

So when the egg does turn in one direction the chalaza does twist but as it twists it tightens until the yolk then turns with it and in doing so it unwinds the chalaza and the dorsal position of the blastoderm is maintained.

Guess I'll just try it and see :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:19 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Tas
Have a google for rollex incubators, same concept that you are looking at.
Regards
Trev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:20 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Hi Trev,

These are the ones I was looking at for the idea: http://www.lyonelectric.com/mrollxwrollers.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:37 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Yep thats the type that I was thinking of.
Note that they have rubber orings on the rollers that stop the eggs "walking"
along the rollers.
Regards
Trev