Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Cleaning incubator

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:13 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cleaning incubator
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:55 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Ok here's the world's stupidest question.
How do you clean a hovabator incubator??
What do you wash it with?

What's the easiest and best ways?

Thanks for any help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:13 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Hi
just wash it out with soapy water or detergent. Don't use bleach or disinfectants as they leave traces.

Then just leave it in the sun all day to dry. The sunshine and the heat from it will kill any harmful bacteria. It doesn't need to be spotless, just clean.

Mike
PS - I have a hovabator also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:29 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thanks Mike :)

I guess i'll leave it for tomorrow, it's quite windy here at the moment, i've hosed it all out so most of the muck is out of it, i just didnt know about the making sure it's clean bit.

I'm quite happy, I got 20 out of 42 (26 out of 42 were fertile) for my first hatch :) Getting a fan put in it next weekend for the next lot, hopefully i'll have even a better hatch rate then 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:15 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Clean is a state of mind and its different to different people - just give it a gentle scrub with a soft nail brush - dont be too fastidious - its not that important.

There is bacteria all around us and inside of us. They are not all out to attack your eggs and chickens (and us) despite what the disinfectant companies would like us to believe so you buy heaps of their products.

You more damage making it "as new" than just making it clean.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:47 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Well that makes it sooo much easier then :)

Post subject: Re: Cleaning incubator
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:01 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I have 3 doz eggs in the incubator and I'm just wondering about cleaning if something goes wrong? Like if an egg busts, would this be prevented by candling them.

How much harm will it do to the remaining embryo's if they get rotten egg spatter all over them. I haven't had it happen (except under broody's) just dreading the logistics of cleaning while there are still viable eggs in the incubator.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:10 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

It is actually quite rare for this to happen, especially if you candle (I do days 10 and 18) and remove anything that is not developing. If something is rotting you can generally smell it well before it detonates. It is more likely to leak than explode unless it is handled roughly.
If necessary, a quick rinse under warm running water is adequate for anything which does get soiled.
Wipe incubator out with mild bleach solution.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:31 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I use clothes washing detergent to clean foam incubators.

I have used meths on foam incubators it sterilize them.

An issue with sterilizing an item like an incubator is how would you sterilize the electronics and other bits you can't get wet?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:48 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

The electronics in incubators should be protected from contamination by their location (external to the eggs or at least shielded) They should only need to be cleaned of dander - vacuumed or blown with low pressure

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:23 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

All the electronics are in the lid and everything comes out for cleaning. I'll candle at 7-10 days that should prevent any explosions. I didn't candle the eggs under the broody cause I figured she'd know which ones to throw out. I did have an issue with other hens trying to lay in her nesting box, so I separated them after that. I'll also instigate the (careful) sniff test. Rotten eggs are PUTRID.

Thanks for the help. Just heading to day 4. I'm excited cause this is the first time I've incubated with a "proper" incubator. My last attempt was with a homemade one and it was outside (we were in a rental and couldn't fit the huge cupboard in the house) LOL. And it got cold and the insulation wasn't up to scratch so I could tell when breaking undeveloping eggs when they died.

Thanks again and I'll keep you posted. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:48 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

My point is that it is nearly impossible and certainly impractical to clean and sterilize an incubator to medical standards.

however giving a reasonable clean and sanitizing as much as practical is worthwhile.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:29 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

It probably works very well, but the point is you dont need it. Just soapy water and sunlight. If your really concerned then a mild solution of bleach over the worst bits.

By sterilising anything other than an operating theatre means you run the very real risk of selecting the very resistant bacteria that are resistant to chemical sterilisation and they are the very ones you dont need anywhere.

The world has millions of bacteria every where, both good guys and pathogens and they keep each other in check. Play with the balance and you are inviting an imbalance.

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:50 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Exactly as Mike said and one of the reasons that we are playing with fire by over sterilizing with things like anti bacterial wipes. Kill off 99% of bacteria (including the good guys) and the resistant ones have a home run.
Keep your incubator clean - if you don't it will smell bad. Care for the electronics by regular dander removal. Soap and sunshine and never store it dirty. Most bacteria need moisture to survive so thorough drying between uses is advisable.