Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Permethrin treatments

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:38 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Permethrin treatments
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:10 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Lately I have noticed that my 3 hens have been preening themselves more often. When patting them, their feathers seem rough to touch, yet last week they felt silky smooth.

On close inspection one of the birds had a tiny skin coloured mite crawling on it.

Im thinking of treating with Permethrin. Would this be the best to treat with? Its really all I know of.

Being a beginner Im a little bit scared of bathing them, (IE hurting them and how they will react to the water), and especially dunking their head under the water. Does any one have any tricks?

I have also seen this on the sticky:

2.To spray the coop- This is done in conjunction with Prazivet treatment to kill any insects in the loft that might be carrying any tapeworm and also to eradicate mites in conjunction with a Moxidectin treatment.

I just have a little urban backyard A frame, I will spray it too, but do I need to do all these steps? What is Prazivet?

My girls are also new to me, and apparently already vaccinated. I havent seen any worms, but should I treat with Moxi just incase?

Also:
Permethrin is diluted 10 ml to 1 litre and sprayed onto the clean scraped surfaces and into any nooks and crannies.

What do you use to spray? Just like a small plastic hairdressers bottle spray? I unfortunately dont have this sort of thing lying around at my place, and will need to go and buy some thing.

Do I spray birds and do the dip also?

Im so sorry I have so many questions. I just want to make sure I do the right thing.

Thanks, Jacqui

Post subject: lice
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:07 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I use Pestene powder for lice, and moxidectin for worms. You can get Pestene from your local produce store. I've never used Prazivet (permethrin spray) but you can get other brands from your local produce store. As long as you follow the manufacturer's directions carefully I don't believe you'll hurt your birds. They'll thank you for it.

Moxidectin comes in two types - the water type, and the pour-on type, which is an oil and you place a few drops on the skin. Both are easy to use. Some people prefer to use moxidectin plus because that covers tapeworm, but I've never had a tapeworm here. It depends on your area.

When I use the Pestene powder I remove all the litter from the nest boxes and replace it. I repeat the treatments two weeks later. If you only have a small tractor to clean you could just hose it out, or even use a pressure cleaner, then tip it upside down to soak up the sunshine. You can get various sprays to make sure there are no lice left, but if you clean and dust the areas I'm sure it would be fine. I wouldn't spray and dip as well. Just do one of them on the bird, and then clean the environment also. Then treat for worms with whatever med to pick.

Others on here use other brands and I'm sure they'll be on to recommend good ones.

Feather Clubs Association of Qld

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:55 am 
Phoenix
Phoenix

I use "Coopex" as an insecticidal spray for around the chooks.

Chicken07 has already answered most of your questions. Moxi will take out the mites and worms together, but I also use pesteen for lice. Rotate what you use as a wormer, ie use moxi one time, then use something else the next time, this will stop the worms building up a resistance.

J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:06 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Thats great, thanks so much.

I just wanted to make sure I have all bases covered. Off to the suppliers asap by the looks of it.

I really appreciate your advice. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:19 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Recently needed to treat our hen for lice.

The sticky said 10 ml/l Permethrin.

We found that Bunnings ant and spider spray is 3 ml /L Permethrin, and the rest of the ingredients are fairly innocuous.

Caught the hen, and sprayed her all over (under the feathers). Also gave the pen a light spray.

100% effective, and <$5 a bottle.

Ben.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:53 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Wow! Thanks so much WAbackyarder.

Do you mind me asking what its called or what the brand is?

What a smart idea. Bunnings is only 5 minutes away from me too, instead of a good 45 minutes to the supplier. And it sounds cheaper.

Does any one else do this?

How clever you are!

:P