Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - introducing new chooks to existing chooks

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:42 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:43 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

Hi, some of you may have been reding my disaster thread in the Good Samaritan section.

I just got 3 new chooks! Two white leghornX and one black australorpX (black one is gorgeous!).

I had five hisex brown (yes, two have met their maker and one is in the intensive care unit).

Im now concerned re: the pecking order. They would be only 3 weeks apart in age. How is this established? How long should it take? WHen should I intervene? One of the original brown has started pecking at the new ones, but I threw in some grass and she has stopped. Are there ways I can keep them entertained, I know they arent budgies (hehehehe), but what can I do? I dont want more deaths, two in the last 3 days is enough!

Advice please...

Many thanks Rita

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:10 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

It is probably a bit late now, but when you get new hens it is best to keep them quarantines for a couple of weeks in case they have diseases or bugs thay and can pass on to your existing hens. After the quarantine period, pen them separate from but in sight of the others for a few days so that they get used to the sight and smell etc. Then introduce them. Some people prefer to put them in the pen at night and let them wake up together, but for me i"ve found just letting them mingel in the day works best. The pecking order squables will generally take a few days and then hopefully it will settle down. Avoid introducing just one hen as it will be traumatic for her. If you only have one to introduce, a way around this is to add one of the existing hens to the new girls enclosure and let them 'bond' for a few days, then introduce the two together.

That is probably rather academic now as they have all been introduced! :lol: :lol: You are right - it is good to give the chooks something to do during the day. If they are kept penned, then give them things to climb on. Hang green food so they have to jumpt to reach it (like a bunch of silverbeet or a whole cabbage). Put their food up on a bird table so they have to fly up to get it. And I'm sure there are heaps more ideas!

Good luck

NellyG

NellyG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:33 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I know I keep posting better homes and garden links everywhere (I swear I dont get paid on commision to get you to sign up to the magazine)
but if you watch the link http://au.video.yahoo.com/network/100000090 search "hen" and watch A new hen in the coop.
They introduce 5 week old chicks into the coop, and show how

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:58 am 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Sandy's reply in another topic is excellent :D and very relevant here.

I realise that this is an older thread but reached it when I came to check Housing, Feeding and Husbandry to see if Sandy's information may have already been Stickied or at least included in Nelly's index :)

So am cutting and pasting:

Sandy wrote:
Getting grown birds you take the chance of them bringing some baggage into your flock...they may have had something .. got over it .. and be carriers of it .. you can't tell just by looking at them

Or it may be the other way around.. your girls may have picked up something.. got over and carriers of it ..

And if either of the two havent' had it they will pass it on ... so be aware that you may have to deal with a few issues to start with and have a few things on hand just in case.. and you will be fine

Just having 3 birds and introducing 2 or 3 new ones... you may have a bit of squabbling over who is going to be the top bird.. unless you get in POL.. pullets that aren't laying yet.. then they will be at the bottom end of the pecking order until they start to lay.

Introduction of anything new or changes causes stress in chickens

So the new birds will be suffering from stress
1. From the move
2. From the new surrounding
3. From being introduced to new birds
4. Sleeping in new quarters
5. And possibly a new feed routine or different food than they are used to

Your existing birds will be suffering from stress
1. New birds coming into their territory
2. Having to share what they have
3. Fighting over who will be top bird in the flock
4. Fighting over who is going to sleep where
5. Having to share their food and water

Keep a close eye on droppings... this is very important
Its the first signs of something going wrong with a bird

Watch for any fighting causing bleeding.. remove the bird and treat and remove all traces of blood before putting her back and if any red bits color them blue.. either with blue cote horse spray or food dye.. never put a hen back with anything redish if its an injury... the others will peck at it and can kill them

Watch for any foamy ... watery... bloody....yellow foamy...with a ring around it .. droppings.. could be first indicator of....
1. Respiratory... always a risk when you introduce new birds, from stress or other birds if they are carriers

2. Coccidiosis... always a risk from new birds .. or if you bird have had it and the new ones haven't had the same strain ... and visa versa.. so have .. Sulphaquinn on hand

3. Worms... if your unsure if these birds have worms.. worm them before you put them in with your birds..

4. Some say to isolate new birds for 2 weeks... I used to do this .. but don't any more.. I find if they are carriers of something then it won't matter how long you isolate them they will still pass on what ever they are carriers of

If you have prize birds.. its always a good idea to put one bird in with the new birds from your original flock ... one that you don't prize and see if it becomes sick... or put it in close proximity so it doesn't get pecked.. but will show any signs of illness within 2 weeks.

But as you only have 3 birds.. no an option..

Also put out extra water conatiners and feed containers.. at opposite ends of the coop or yard... your birds will try to keep the new birds away from both.. and if you have extra water and feed areas your birds can't be in two places at once.. and they new birds have a chance to eat and drink

Watch when you get them that they all go into the coop to sleep... DO NOT LET THEM SLEEP OUTSIDE even for one night... habits are hard to break.. don't let them start.. move them into the coop... force them into the coop and shut the door if you have to for the first one to two weeks... after that they should go into the coop without a problem

Well I think I've given you enough room for thought ... if you have any other questions please ask.

Oh - the original is in viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7969370
:)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:59 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Thanks cackles! I will add the link now!

NellyG