Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Home made incubator (for the lazy)

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:32 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:29 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

When I first got hooked on keeping poultry (3 yrs ago), I bought a commercial 24 egg incubator. It was very fiddly to set up, had high temp fluctuation and did not hatch very well. In the end I gave up on it. I decided to make my own, one that was easy to use, reliable and needed very little attention.

..........oh, and cheap!

I built it around the commercially available 36 (100 quail) egg rack from mostly recycled materials.
It uses:
;a digital thermostat, accurate to 0.1 C (@ $180, by far the most expensive part of the project...but well worth it)
;s/h 240v computer fan
;Heating element from a footspa ($3 from a flea market). It is more reliable than a light bulb and very efficient.
;a slow turning motor that tilts the racks 8 times/day
;self filling water tray (from 20L container)
;Digital hygrometer (ebay)

Total cost: around $300
Has hatched close to 2000 quail and chooks so far......and counting :D .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:33 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

That's a fantastic incubator quailguy!! Makes me really wish I was technically minded - I really admire people who can build their own!!

I see that you breed quail - could you please tell me what kind of set up you have for your brooder as I have been having trouble keeping Californian quail chicks at a constant temperature?

Thanks,

Alison

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:56 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Hi Quail guy,

I will add this to the sticky, can you go into a bit of detail covering things like
1. What the internal cabinet used to be.
2. What aluminium you used to make the tilt trays.
3. What the outer case is made of(it appears to be faom veggie boxes?)
4. the design principal behind the outer and inner cabinets.
5. approx dimensions
6. does the fan blow up or down

and so on. Any info that you can share may be of great help for others in the future.

I must add that you have done a great job, and it is completely different to other homemade jobs we have seen so far.

Regards
Trev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:10 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Sorry, I'm hopeless with detail.........afraid of being long winded and tiresome.

I made the internal cabinet out of leftover melamine from our kitchen, and I suppose you could make it out of any kind of ply, chipboard etc. aprox. 350x350x500 Door is perspex with some trimming from an old fridge.

Tilt trays are made of old Kresta blind rail (cut in half lengthways). Any alum angle is fine.....its just what I had on hand.

It actually started off as this.....

.......but I found air circulation was not right (note the long bit of ribbon I used for testing the air direction), and humidity was not right. So, I created a secondary chamber using foam boxes from an aquarium shop.
Now the fan extracts the air (up) out of the incubator, past the heating element where the air is humidified and then pushed down the sides (foam boxes act like ducting) and back into the incubator thru the small holes at the bottom.......

.......to keep it clean, I dont hatch the chicks in here, I made myself an easy-clean hatcher........but that's another project :) .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:26 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Calliequail,
this is my brooder, using a 100w lightbulb on a household dimmer switch..........

.........with my very first hatch 110/135...... :shock: was so shocked that the bator actually worked!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:34 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Thanks for the followup mate, exactly the sort of info needed.
I have already added this excellent example of ingenuity and inventiveness to the sticky.
Again great job
Regards
Trev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:07 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Great brooder too! A very talented designer!!

Do you mind if I ask ---How did you determine the temperature in the brooder, what temperature did you keep them at? - did you manually dim the temperature?

One more question - what is your brooder made from? Is it a large plastic bowl? (I used a rectangular plastic crate)

Apologies for so many questions - I am trying to work out what I did wrong with my hatch, 22 out of 23 hatched but all my quail died one by one at about 2 days of age and the poultry supplier thought that it must have been heat related ie they were too cold and therefore didn't eat or drink enough??

Thanks,

Alison

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:51 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

I basically have 2 settings, day/night, which keeps it at roughly 35 C under the bowl, but chicks can go out to eat and drink, where it is cooler.
The perspex bowl used to be part (1/2) of a street light.

Callies need to learn how to eat. Try introducing Jap chicks (synchronize their hatch) to teach them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:06 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Hi quailguy,
Your hatching results speak for themself.

Is the turner setup shown in the pics?. (I'm not sure).
Do you have any more details on the "slow turning motor"?.

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:54 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

This is as close as I could get....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:22 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Quailguy wrote:
This is as close as I could get....

Thanks - I can see what's going on there now. It's similar to a crankshaft. Quite an elegant solution.