Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Humidity control ... the lazy way.

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:48 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:29 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi,
Recently set up a humidity control in my incubator that I'm very happy with. goes like this:
Step 1: About 5 years ago these decorative gadgets were all the rage, a glass bowl with a mist generator in them. They made a sea of white mist that lay in the bowl. The "guts" of these mist makers is a little ultrasonic unit that turns water into vapour at a rate of about 200 - 300 ml/hour. They can be picked up at markets etc for a couple of dollars.
Step 2: There is a direct link between dry bulb air temp, wet bulb temp and % humidity.
Combining these steps, my humidifier uses a basic thermostat with a shoelace in water to read wet bulb temperature and to switch on the mist maker when the wet bulb temperature (humidity) is too low. it switches off when wet bulb temperature on the thermostat reaches the set value.

Net result. maybe a bit "over the top" but ... Humidity control, set and forget apart from topping up the compact water bowl every few days without fiddling water trays.

Mark

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:36 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

sounds intriguing, got some pics?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:50 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi,
Sure I can have pics ..... how do I post them. Sorry, I'm new to this.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:01 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Sounds interesting. I'd love to see pictures also. Here's how to do your pictures:
http://www.backyardpoultry.com/index.ph ... yinst.html

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:49 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi,
Worked out the image posting thing. My incubator is based on one of those supermarket drinks fridges that they have near the checkouts, double glazed, well insulated, large-ish, and above all very cheap once they expire as a fridge.

Auto turn setup is also visible based on an over rotisserie, and a rack of Japanese quail eggs.

Mark

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:44 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

OOHH OOHH OOHH Kaz,
Please Please take detailed pics of the incubator including the turner setup, as detailed as you can get. Make a new post about your home made incubator and I will add it to the homemade incubator sticky.
It looks like a great set up. If you dont want to make a new post add them here.
Did you build it or some one else?

Regards
Trev

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:06 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

looks good,would also like to see more pics

Anconas
Coming Soon
Indian Game,large and bantam
Road island Reds
Barnavelders
Silkies

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:26 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi,
Happy to oblige with more detail. Pretty proud of the stage of development. This incubator is on its second rebuild and I'm very happy with the way it is working now. Changing the position of the fans and heating element has resulted in very consistent temperature and humidity through the cabinet. +/- 0.2 degree farenheit on the top 2 racks and less than +/- 0.5 of a degree F anywhere in the cabinet. Humidity is +/- 1%. The local tip shops and scrap metal yard is the source of most of the bits. Biggest investment was the hi-tech PID temperature controller.
The main factors with an incubator that is sucessful is RELIABILITY. No short cuts and get everything working before the eggs go in.

Old fridge cabinet from scrap metal yard. Double glazed doors and metal skin over foam insulated sides, tough, insulated, spacious ..and cheap ... what more could you want !

Left hand end of cabinet, shows oven rotisserie turner and wet bulb probe, computer fan and rack setup. Rack travels automatically set with a simple timer to move as frequently as desired (5 times a day at the moment) to roll the eggs 180 degrees. Takes about 10 seconds to gently roll the eggs a half turn.

Another shot of turner motor and wood/aluminium rack. Bars in rack can be shifted around for different size eggs.

Racks. Linked together by aluminium levers to the right. Can shuffle the geometry around to get the amount of travel needed on the racks to get a 180 degree roll for the size eggs being racked. Can easily get different travel on top rack to bottom rack.

Cabinet base ... here under lies a fridge defrost element of 300 watts (240 volt) and a barrel type fan out of an old fan heater. Empty rack is space used to place baskets for hatching and drying young birds off before they are moved to the brooder (24 hours or so).

Mark

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:35 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Stay tuned for the next posting on the brooder built from a cake display cabinet (pity it's not still full of cakes).
Mark and Karen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:09 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

Okay this must be what rocket scientists do in their spare time! Thats magic :D

Michelle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:57 am 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Great work mark, and thanks for the extra photos.
I have added this to the sticky and I look forward to the cake brooder.

Regards
Trev

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:35 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thats bloody rippa :wink:

Anconas
Coming Soon
Indian Game,large and bantam
Road island Reds
Barnavelders
Silkies

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:41 am 
Swan
Swan

Looks good how Many eggs can it hold?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:10 am 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Hi,
Thanks for the kind words. Really none of it is rocket science, more like "Junkyard wars". I go to scrap yards and the tip shops with an open mind. Rather than "I'm looking for this item", its more a case of "what could this be used for, or turned into".
Depending on the egg size, the racks can hold around 120 eggs each. At the moment there are 2 racks but another shelf can easily be daisy chained off the lower one. Not sure I will ever have enough eggs to hatch to need to do that though. The floor of the egg roll setups is perforated mini orb corrugated iron. It's not very space efficient (not many eggs to a row) but the eggs roll reliably along the hollows in the corrugations without bunching up or tumbling.
A second brooder that I use, has heat supplied by a shiny metal box that was used in a waxing studio in a former life. A $2 repair and a tweek of the thermostat and works great. It just pushes into the end of another upright shop fridge thats laying on its side.
Mark

Last edited by kaz1104 on Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:14 am 
Swan
Swan

Kaz could Always set the eggs at different Times :p whats the go with the bit of pipe in the Water is that the heating Source could you explain how it works?