Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Homemade Incubator

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:22 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Homemade Incubator
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:31 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

:hiya: Just wanted to share another home made incubator project.
A few months ago I was at the tender centre and spotted a timber cabinet which was labelled "worm farm".
I was a bit gobsmacked and thought how ridiculous :rofl: , a worm farm :shock: , surely everyone can see it is an incubator waiting to happen :lol:
Put a bid on for $23 and was the only bid, so managed to get it for $29.45 once charges were added on :biggrin: .
I had a fridge shelf sitting around which fit perfectly on the rails which were already in the cabinet, another bit of shelf to use as a semi auto turner, had a spare thermostat for a brower incubator.
Added 2 plastic containers to use for water in the drawer in the bottom of the cabinet (came with a metal removable liner in it, easy to clean 8))

And that is about the extent of my input for the incubator, except for a few not so quiet suggestions along the way :roll: OK so I nagged!!! :oops: :lol:
My very clever husband (I better write that he might read this :lol: )then installed 2 lights, 2 fans, the thermostat, thermometer, a handle on the semi auto turn fridge shelf, latch on the lid, and a bit of foam stripping to close up some gaps and hey presto an incubator.
I have been driving him nuts over the last....hmmm....however long I have been a member of BYP, showing him all the different designs for homemade incubators.
BIG thanks to everyone for all the ideas :grouphug:

I set some eggs out of my mixed breed chook pen on the 16th of April (3 weeks ago) and they are hatching as I type :bounce:
I think there are 6 hatched so far, definitely need to add a window for viewing as I don't want to open the lid.
There is also another lot of eggs in there that I added on the 22nd of April, due on the 13 May.
Haven't fiddled with it much, just basically wanted to test it out as is, so it will be interesting to see what sort of hatch rate we get.
Can't wait to test it out with duck eggs :help:

Post subject: Re: Homemade Incubator
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:36 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Good luck with the hatch Booth. Let us know how it goes.

The unit looks fantastic. This thread is another one to add to Chookmadhubby's sticky.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:42 pm 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

That's brilliant! I love it! I like how you can slide the drawer out to fill the water from below.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:02 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Thats a nice looking unit, I have added it to the sticky.

Great effort to have babies hatching on the first run.

Regards
Trev

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:12 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

You have done a great job,that is very nice

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 11:47 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Hatching all finished, we have 10 new bator chicks :bounce:
Think temp must be fine as no sign of any leg problems or anything else at this stage and hatch was on time.
Very happy with first results.
A bit of a run down on the hatch results.
27 eggs in
11 eggs out at first candling (a couple had started to develop then stopped, most infertile from newly introduced larger chooks)
2 eggs out when transferring to hatching tray

So 14 were due yesterday.
10 hatched
4 dead in shell, of these 4, 1 had pipped in wrong end and got no further, and other 3 did not pip or enter air cell.

Of the 10 that hatched 3 managed to pip and hatch from the wrong end.
:hmmm: Not sure when I stopped turning and put them in the hatching tray but wasn't soon enough as one had already pipped.
Will get the next lot in the hatching tray earlier and hopefully that will mean less pipping in the wrong end.

The aftermath
10 new babies
And here are some I prepared earlier :lol: in case you want a sneek peek at what they may look like.
These are out of my mixed breed chooks also.
They were hen hatched they are about 3 weeks old (sorry, it's not a very flattering photo).
A bit of a mixture, some frizzled, some straight, a few different comb types, some with silkie skin colour, some with 4 toes some with 5 toes, a bit of everything :bolt:

Now just waiting for the next lot due on 13/5/09, next Wednesday.
Will update when they hatch.
Cheers
Kylie

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 12:09 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Well Done Kylie. That's good, especially for this time of the year when so many birds are in moult and those still laying are a bit 'tired'. You must be thrilled.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:18 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Thanks Chicken07,
I couldn't be happier with bator, the second lot of eggs are due today. 3 have hatched so far.
Just test running with my own mixed breed chicken eggs, really can't wait to try it out with duck eggs.
It will be interesting to see how it goes then, hopefully I'll have as much success with those.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:40 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

Kylie wrote:
Now just waiting for the next lot due on 13/5/09, next Wednesday.
Will update when they hatch.

AND
Quote:
Thanks Chicken07,
I couldn't be happier with bator, the second lot of eggs are due today. 3 have hatched so far.
Just test running with my own mixed breed chicken eggs, really can't wait to try it out with duck eggs.
It will be interesting to see how it goes then, hopefully I'll have as much success with those.

Well done! :D

(You may notice that some of the Gallery photos now show a link to threads in which they are displayed.) :D

Looking forward to some more photos - of course :P

Good luck with your duck eggs! I think I will be having at least a season without hatching any ducklings - am currently duck-less and my longer term plan is to get some very good quality Cayuga - for which I'm prepared to wait.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:20 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Sorry a bit slow in getting back to this topic :oops:
My hatch that was due on 13/5 went well.
Set 20 eggs
4 out infertile at first candling
1 out at last candling
13 hatched
2 DIS did not pip
I stopped turning these 3 days before hatch.

I have 9 duck eggs in at the moment. Set on 17/5/09 due on 14/6/09
Hubby's Khaki Campbell duck has just started laying so collected her eggs.
Not sure if many will be pure or not as I only seperated the khaki's from the rest of the group containing saxony's and swedish only very recently.
I was sort of expecting there to be fertility issues being the first eggs laid but threw them in anyway.
All 9 are growing really well, they have been in for 10 days so far. Was very surprised to see them all fertile :lol: :bolt:

Cackles, I'll try and remember to do the link thing with photos, I do like to be able to see a photo in the gallery and click on the topic that it was used in, well done 8) .
Hope you get your cayugas eventually :thumbs: , while you are waiting enjoy the break, they are messy critters, lucky they have so much personality :biggrin:

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 8:41 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

13 healthy chicks - that's another great result Booth. I think you can be confident that you've got a successful incubator there. Good luck with the duck eggs.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:24 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Duck eggs have hatched, wasn't a very good result only got 3 out of 9.
But still have 3 lovely little ducklings (one for each child to cuddle :biggrin: ), not sure if they are pure Khakis or not but I think they do look like it so far.
The ones that died along the way seemed to start dropping off after 2 weeks in the incubator, 2 died about 4 days before they were due to hatch.
Temperature is very stable and hatch was on time, might raise the humidity a little more for any duck eggs though.
I have a few more duck eggs in the incubator now, everything seems to be starting to lay.
I have more Khaki Campbells in there (these will definitely be pure), and 3 only Swedish and a few Saxony.
Not really expecting the Saxony and Swedish to be any good though, but fingers are crossed :yipee:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:35 am 
Junior Champion Bird
Junior Champion Bird

Aww that's just gorgeous! Love how one of them opts to snuggle down in the food container! :biggrin:

chookstarter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:44 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Check out how nice and clean it all looks too......won't stay like that for long :yipee: messy little things :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:24 pm 
Dapper Duck
Dapper Duck

Wow Booth, you are doing a great job!! This is very exciting to read as I have never used an incubator before but am going to put my first eggs in soon (not even a home made incubator but Im sttill very excited!!)