Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Egg recipes

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:36 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Egg recipes
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:18 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Well the ones I make are pretty thick! but my potatoes are the flourry mashing kind - so that is a good point! Glad you liked it.

Nels

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:29 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

I am still working on the EGG RECIPE BOOK. It is a bigger job than I thought getting the formats and abbevations etc standard. But it is coming soon. If anyone makes these recipes can you send a photo to ras001@bigpond.com . And I will include the photos with the recipe.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:46 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

NellyG wrote:
Well the ones I make are pretty thick! but my potatoes are the flourry mashing kind - so that is a good point! Glad you liked it.

Nels

We ate ALL of the six resulting cakes. Num.

Note that it wasn't at all bad with the waxy potatoes, but requires slower cooking and thus a longer cooking time, and also needed more liquid to actually cook them down - mushrooms or spinach or even milk/cream would possibly help, or else pre-cooking them for about 15mins in the microwave before adding to the onion. The good thing about the waxy potatoes keeping their shape is that we ended up with nice bits sticking out to get burnt and crunchy, which is the essence of Good Stuff regarding potatoes.

I'm essentially regarding this as a food-source base on which to build, because it seems a very forgiving sort of a recipe, and I adore frittery things. So I can add fresh herbs, or spinach, or tinned corn and/or peas, or grated cheese, and add to it things like your chili beans, or thin strips of meat or fish, or grilled eggplant or zucchini or mushrooms.

I like recipes like that :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:30 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

If anyone has anymore sweets/cakes recipes which use a lot of eggs I'd appreciate them!! Currently have over 40 eggs and never home at moment to cook 'meal' type egg recipes for myself :-( but can make cakes and give them to people...!
Cheers :-)

...and a gentle bullmastiff 'Otis'

Registered animal foster carer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:34 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

Icecream!! And custard. I can eat custard on its own; love it. (Icecream is just a light custard base with stuff mixed in and then frozen).

Pound cake.

Meringues - well, they use egg WHITE ...

Pancakes.

I was planning to invent a sweet quiche, as well - I figure it'd essentially be a custard pie. I still might ...

Cheesecake uses a few.

Muffins are quick and easy and once you've got a basic recipe, you can play around with whatever else happens to be handy. I "invented" "muffriands", which are muffins made with half almond meal (because I love almond meal), and with grated apple and sultana because I had a lot of apples and adore sultanas.

Sorry, no recipes for these things at the moment ... I'll post them later if others can't find them.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:28 pm 
Wise One
Wise One

Ooooo infoaddict. I'll have that sweet quiche recipe when you invent it :yipee:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:22 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Great ideas, thanks :-)

Icecream I can't store but I'm making a pound cake now (and a choc cake with 12 eggs). Muffriands sound interesting and definitely post the sweet quiche recipe once you have it nailed. Actually I just thought of a sweet impossible pie, thats easy too... off to baking!!

infoaddict wrote:
Icecream!! And custard. I can eat custard on its own; love it. (Icecream is just a light custard base with stuff mixed in and then frozen).

Pound cake.

Meringues - well, they use egg WHITE ...

Pancakes.

I was planning to invent a sweet quiche, as well - I figure it'd essentially be a custard pie. I still might ...

Cheesecake uses a few.

Muffins are quick and easy and once you've got a basic recipe, you can play around with whatever else happens to be handy. I "invented" "muffriands", which are muffins made with half almond meal (because I love almond meal), and with grated apple and sultana because I had a lot of apples and adore sultanas.

Sorry, no recipes for these things at the moment ... I'll post them later if others can't find them.

...and a gentle bullmastiff 'Otis'

Registered animal foster carer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:38 pm 
Golden Phoenix
Golden Phoenix

I'll have a go on the weekend. It's not like I don't have a surplus of eggs to play with to get it right!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:19 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Ok well just reading through and noticed no one has stated a very obvious use of eggs which has become our Tuesday night regular (I do the grocery shopping on Tuesday's so get the fresh rolls that day...).

Bacon and Egg burgers!

3 rashers of bacon per person
1 bread roll per person
Butter for each roll
3 eggs per person/roll depending on size of eggs (I have mostly bantams so actually use closer to 4 or 5)
slices of favourite cheese (we use just regular woolies homebrand tasty cheddar)
grated carrot
sliced pinapple
sliced tomato
cucumber
alfalfa
lettuce
BBQ/tomato sauce/salt/pepper to taste
(adjust salad to your personal preference... these are the regulars we use)

I usually start off by cooking the bacon on our grill plate on our gas stove... but for easy clean up this would be great out on the BBQ plate. This way too, the left over bacon fat means you don't need to add extra oil for frying eggs. Once the bacon is cooked, I set it aside on a separate plate on top of a piece of alfoil with the alfoil folded back over to keep in the heat but allow it to cool a little so you can handle it for assembling the burgers.
I then use the LARGE sized egg rings you can get - not the standard 'single egg' sized ones, but the larger ones as they then cover much more of the burger which helps with balance later on! Then fry an egg ring full of eggs for each person/roll. In the mean while, I usually prepare all the salad as well as split open & butter each roll. As the eggs are finishing, add the bread rolls to the pan/grill plate with buttered side down to toast them.
When the rolls are toasted, quickly add your sauce (if applicable), then the bacon (I usually just add the bigger meatier end of the bacon for each roll and we have the narrower bits to eat on the side :lol: ), then quickly add your slices of cheese and a hot egg fresh off the heat so it helps to slightly melt the cheese. Then in whatever order you prefer (but this is the one we do it in...) add your carrot, pineapple (sometimes we grill the pineapple as well), tomato, alfalfa, cucumber and lettuce. Then finally top with the top of the toasted roll.

In our experience, hubby prefers crusty bread rolls but they're usually quite 'puffy' and big so we find the flatter hamburger rolls are more easy to manage and to squish to fit in your gob! also, best if eaten leaning over a plate cos the juices from all the yummy salad tends to run down your wrists!
Very yummy dinner and so very easy, but also very healthy!! The worst of it is the bacon.

Also, I know someone else mention a carbonara recipe earlier but this is the one that my hubby just loooooves and that we find uses up lots of eggs... I adapted it from a number of different carbonara recipes.

Creamy Carbonara

6 bacon rashers cut into strips
2 cloves garlic crushed (or I just use approx 1 tsp dried granulated garlic)
1 cup dry white wine
1 300ml tub cream
6-10 eggs (more for bantam, less for bigger)
1 cup finely grated/shredded parmesan
Half a 500g pack of fettucine or spaghetti
Freshly ground pepper and additional parmesan to serve

Set a pot of water on the stove to start heating water to cook pasta... meanwhile...
Lightly fry bacon in a pan then add garlic and fry just a smidge more. Add white wine to bacon mixture and allow to boil for a few moments until it reduces a little. Then add the tub of cream and allow to come to the boil and then simmer gently. Then using a metallic bowl or another saucepan on top of the pot of water for your pasta, whisk the eggs and heat lightly, add 1 cup parmesan cheese and continue to whisk until it melts - but do not leave as the egg will scramble. Remove from the heat and set aside while your pasta cooks.
Drain cooked pasta and add to the pan with the bacon and cream mixture and stir through, then turn off heat/remove from heat and stir through egg & parmesan mixture at last moment prior to serving.
Serve with freshly ground pepper and freshly grated parmesan to taste.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:54 pm 
Champion Bird
Champion Bird

Bacon and egg pie - uses 15 eggs

This is a very non-pc version that I learnt from my mother.
She used to make the pastry herself, but I purchase flaky or puff pastry.

Line the base of an oval pie dish with overlapping strips of bacon. Be generous. If you are using fatty bacon, you won't need to grease the dish first.
Break in one dozen eggs, leaving them whole. Run a knife once across the centre so that some eggs are 'broken', some still whole.
Beat three more eggs and add seasoning such as mixed dried or chopped fresh herbs.
Pour the beaten egg mixture over the dish.
Grate about a cup of well-flavoured cheddar cheese and sprinkle on top.
Grease the top edge of the dish, and cut a strip of pastry to go all the way round.
Either: cover the whole dish with a sheet of pastry and crimp around the edges. Decorate with a couple of cut-out pastry leaves around a central "vent".
Or: Cut pastry into strips and make a criss-cross pattern over the top, so that the cheese/egg mixture will show through and brown in baking.
Bake at about 200 deg for 20 mins and then 160 deg for 15 mins. This will depend on the type of pastry, your oven type, and your own judgement.

Preferably serve warm, but it makes a lovely cold slice with a salad.
Traditionally this had a pastry base as well, but the bottom tends to stay a little soggy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:40 am 

Surely someone has a family recipe for a Pav they could share? :mrgreen:

My addition is sometime I make on weekends when I'm tired of a plain fried egg or scrambled eggs. You can vary it in many ways, this is the most basic outline version. You will need some good herb or spice flavours though or it's just boring tomato sauce.

Eggs poached in tomato sauce

Onion
Garlic
Chili, either fresh or flakes, to taste
Paprika
Tin of crushed or chopped tomatoes
Tomato paste
Eggs (about 4)

Chop the onion and garlic and cook in a fry pan with olive oil until tender. Add the chili, paprika, and tomatoes as well as a spoonful of tomato paste if you have it. Simmer briskly for about 10 minutes until thickened, then form depressions and crack eggs into the mixture. Continue to simmer until yolks are done to your liking. Serve on toast and enjoy!

Mix up the flavours to your liking. Crumble some feta or goat cheese on top to serve. Add chopped bacon, mushrooms, or any veggies of your liking between the onion step and the tomato step. Add cumin for a more exotic spice mix or substitute the spices with your favourite fresh chopped herbs.

Post subject: Pavlova
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:23 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Pavlova

Ingredients (serves 10)
· 6 (59g) egg whites
· 1 1/4 cups (270g) caster sugar
· 2 tsp cornflour
· 1 tsp white vinegar
· 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Method
1. Preheat oven to 150°C. Line a large tray with baking paper.

2. Use an electric mixer to whisk egg whites in a clean dry bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition, until meringue is thick and glossy and sugar dissolved. Rub a little meringue between fingers. If still "gritty" with sugar, continue to whisk until sugar dissolves. Add cornflour, vinegar and vanilla and whisk until just combined. Spoon meringue onto the paper, about 2" thick. Smooth sides and top of pavlova. Turn heat down to 100C (fan forced). Bake in oven for 4 hours. Turn off oven. Leave pavlova in oven with the door closed to cool completely. When completely cold, transfer to serving plate or store in an airtight container until required.

Top with whipped cream (600mL pure cream, 2 tbsp icing sugar and 1 tsp vanilla essence) and strawberries. For a nice alternative when strawberries are not available, crush 2 x peppermint crisps up and sprinkle over cream.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:51 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Make Angel Food Cake!

Ok; so I'm a yank by birth; and it is more an American type cake; but it is absolutely devine. There's two types you can make; one that uses equal egg white and yolk; or the more traditional type that uses only egg whites - and you can use the excess yolks to make a yummy home-made custard; too; meaning nothing goes to waste.
It is a very delicate cake; rather like a sponge; only often has much less flour than a sponge; ends up being like a cross between a sponge and a really (!!) airy pavlova. They do require a bit more work in the aspect of cooling than a sponge does; they need to be cooled upside-down to help maintain all the airbubbles and to keep the cake from deflating (and in America they use bunt cake pans so they can be turned upside down on the middle bit; but you can use pretty much anything; just needs to be supported on the sides; not on the actual cake itself...); but once cooled can be turned right side up and treated as any normal sponge would be. Makes brilliant strawberry shortcake.
Here's two recipes (off of Allrecipes; I have used their recipes in this instance as I often put a pinch of this and that; habit of making them...)
Gone with the wind cake - is the cake with equal amounts egg white and yolk.
INGREDIENTS
180 ml water
3 egg whites
300 g white sugar
5 ml vanilla extract
250 g cake flour
5 g baking powder
2 g salt
3 egg yolks
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2.Beat cold water and egg yolks together until mixture makes 1 quart - at least 10 minutes. Slowly add sugar and vanilla to egg yolk mixture, beating for at least 7 minutes.
3.Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together. Fold into the egg yolk mixture.
4.Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form and fold in smoothly to the egg yolk mixture. Pour batter into an ungreased 9 or 10 inch tube pan.
5.Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 50 minutes. Turn upside down to cool in pan for 1 hour. Loosen sides and coax from pan. May be cut into layers and filled with Lemon Filling and iced with the same or with whipped cream.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:56 am 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

And continued as typing was going wonky in the last post...
And here's the more traditional; and in my opinion; better tasting; Angel Food Cake; it does only use the whites; but you can end up using the yolks for something like custard or something. Again; this recipe is off of allrecipes.com, as I ususally do a pinch of this and that; habit, this is an actual written recipe; that I've tried; too; with wonderful results.
Angel Food Cake
12 eggs
150 g confectioners' sugar
125 g all-purpose flour
5 g cream of tartar
8 ml vanilla extract
3 ml almond extract
2 g salt
200 g sugar
1.Separate eggs; discard yolks or refrigerate for another use. Measure egg whites, adding or removing whites as needed to equal 1-1/2 cups. Place in a mixing bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
2.Meanwhile, sift confectioners' sugar and flour together three times; set aside. Add cream of tartar, extracts and salt to egg whites; beat on high speed. Gradually add sugar, beating until sugar is dissolved and stiff peaks form. Fold in flour mixture, 1/4 cup at a time. Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake at 350 degrees F for 40-45 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately invert pan; cool completely before removing cake from pan.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:16 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

When making any sort of sponge, pav, or angel food cake; make sure thay any pans you use are NOT greased at all; are clean and dry. Older eggs do whip up better that very fresh ones. Waterfowl eggs often whip up better then chicken eggs do - being more viscous, hold the air better; are slightly more forgiving for folding, etc. than chicken eggs are; but you can use any sort of eggs (I've even used quail eggs.... yes, lots of them, lol).
Enjoy!
If you want the recipe for the strawberry bit of the strawberry shortcake; pm me; just didn't think it was relevant to egg recipes...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next