Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Goosey Goosey babies-candling update

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:39 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:45 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

I have 6 Emden goose eggs and 8 Toulouse eggs arrive today via post, perfect packaging, all good! They just arrived and I unpacked holding my breathe for each egg.... crikey, they are massive eh!

I have a newhovobator fanforced with auto turn...

I set them tomorrow morning...... 28-35 days they say..... thats going to be a L O N G 5 weeks!

Stay tuned..... I think geese are a hoot!

Rita

Last edited by ritaz1964 on Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Goosey Goosey babies
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:23 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Goodluck!! i had pilgrim geese as a teenager but they incubated their own eggs and man they got protective :lol:
Goslings are super cute cant have them here (no grass or pond) but they are on "the list" when can can afford our property :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:29 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Best of luck with those eggs..Hope you get a great hatch- especially after the expense of getting the new incubator for them as well. I am loving my little guys...even though they are growing so fast- they are still just gorgeous.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:18 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

hey Rita, where did the toulouse eggs come from? did you see pics of the suposed parents?

if you get everything right they should be pipping at 28days, if they haven't pipped by 30 they're unlikely to hatch. do you have a candling device?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:52 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

they came from Victoria..I didnt see parents no.... I should ask her eh? Ill send her an email..

I have a strong led torch with about 6-7 led's in it, but those eggs look thick! I might need something even stronger!

Cheers, Rita

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:04 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

ritaz1964 wrote:
Stay tuned..... I think geese are a hoot!

Rita

or a Honk? :wink:

G'luck with the hatch - photos are mandatory you know! :biggrin:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:58 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Rita, we breed toulouse and have a number of birds from different lines, hens the interest as good exhibition dewlap toulouse arent that easy to come by, and i'd be suprised that someone would sell the eggs from such birds, if they're the real deal lucky you and all the best for the hatch!
any chance you spotted the eggs for sale on farm stock? i recently saw someone advertise some and requested pics of the breeding birds to confirm they atleast had reasonable stock, as expected we didnt get a reply.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:28 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

yes, from farmstock...she has been very good communicating..... I so far, havent had an issue, but Im not looking for show stock, Im, happy to have my backyard buddies...that's all Ive ever wanted.

I wouldnt know a good goose from a dud..... they are all cute!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:41 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Rita I hope they had a gentle transit via AP. I've never had much luck with posted waterfowl eggs. I have no trouble incubating my own eggs from here though. I suspect they are very vulnerable to damage along the way due to their size, so fingers crossed for yours.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:50 am 
Flock Master
Flock Master

Time will tell........ I know aust post.... but what do I do, I have no other source...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:25 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

well to say Im disapointed could be an understatement.... I candled last night, I know its early, but I had a strong torch and I got to see inside very well..... out of 14 goose eggs, one is definite embryo and maybe another two...possibly just a darker yolk...maybe baby... :?:

Pretty slim pickings, Ill be olucky to get one baby gosling! :cry: I didnt think it would be this hard, I am really keen on the goslings, I may not even bother trying to incubate again, such expensive eggs, I may be better off with new borns..... just want them to bond with us and no one else, so they have to be pretty young...

Rita

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:20 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

Please, some help...

I candled again, I put them in last friday morning....so please calculate for me....what day am i and at this point if I can see straight thru the egg with a torch is it infertile??

If I can see in but the yolk is not moving and it appears darker, does this mean its progressing? (Im not shaking egg or course, just a slight tilt and it isnt budging.

I am uncertain due to the incubation time of goose eggs is between 28-35 days, could some develop faster than others? I have toulouse and emden in there....

Is there a chart that shows what a goose development looks like on a day by day basis...similar to the chook one on this site?

At what day should I toss egg if it still looks totally clear?

Im really really praying that the ones that look darker but not black yet (cos one is for sure growing) is a good sign...

:help:

Many thanks, Rita

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:05 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

This chart may help you
http://www.eggincubator.biz/Embryonic-D ... ocess.html
If you set them last Friday morning then they are today Day 7 if Friday is Day I.
I personally would leave them alone for another few days.And remember goose eggs are very difficult to hatch in an incubator and to answer an earlier question you would be better off trying to get young ones.
Goose eggs are very hit and miss as far as fertility some years you have 100% and all out last year I had a big fat zero this year will be lucky for may 6 they are not like chickens where the hatch rate is fantastic in incubators .Even with them sitting on them there is no guarantee.I thre 6 eggs the other day all fully formed just did not get out.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:21 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

yeah, I know Im trying for something that is hard with goose and incubator...but I couldnt find any goslings.... and I didnt want grown geese because I want them to be freindly with us and bond, etc...

The chart is good, thanks for that, i will check again in a few days as you suggest and see what is happening.

You didnt say though with different breeds, can incubation length vary? Why such a big fluctuation with incubation time? 28-35 days?

I have since found some goslings..... Im not sure what exactly they will be, but they are 2 weeks old and I pick them up sunday morning.... I put feelers out and I have had some response..... but the ones I love the most, the sebastapols are very very difficult to find. Ill get there..I dont give up easy!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:43 pm 
Phoenix
Phoenix

The actual period of incubation of goose eggs varies slightly with the breed. Some eggs from the lighter breeds may start pipping after 28 days, while eggs from the larger breeds may take 35 days. It may take up to 3 days for hatching to be completed.

Just for interest

Unless machines are properly managed, goose eggs do not hatch very well in artificial incubators. Hatches often are no better than 40% of the eggs set, even though fertility is about 90%. This is because of poor management and because incubators available in Australia are not manufactured specifically for geese.

With forced-draught machines, maintain a constant temperature of 37.5°C throughout the incubation period. The desired humidity will be obtained if the wet bulb thermometer is kept at a reading of 32.2°C to the 29th day. Then increase it to 34°C for the rest of the incubation time, using moisture trays and adjusting the ventilation.

Incubators with a slow air movement over the eggs will hatch goose eggs better than those with a fast air movement. Slow air movement ensures complete distribution of air over all parts of the egg to maintain uniform and equal evaporation.

Experiments in France, using 2000 eggs in eighteen incubators, have substantiated the need to place eggs horizontally.

In the incubator:

Turn eggs through an angle of 180°,
and set eggs horizontally Best results are obtained if eggs are turned over completely at least four times daily, that is, through an angle of 180° (as shown in the diagram at right) and not 90° as with chicken eggs. Best hatching results are obtained if eggs are set horizontally.
Eggs must be spaced evenly throughout the incubator if the machine is not full. The temperature of the machine should be 0.2°C higher when the machine is less than 60% full.
Because goose eggs require high humidity, they should be sprinkled daily with warm water. After the 15th day of incubation, eggs should be completely submerged every second day in water kept at a temperature of 37.5°C and then daily in the last week of incubation, for 1 minute. Alternatively, fine nozzles that spray water at 37.5°C when needed can be installed in the incubator