Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - First timer incubating in Hovabator

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:48 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:00 am 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Purchased 42 fertile eggs & Hovabator at Bacchus March on Sunday.

Hovabator has fan & thermostat, plus auto-turner. Purchased thermometer/hygrometer from Bunnings on the way home.

Set everything up when arrived home; eggs not being set until tonight (resting for 24 hours before setting after travelling).

Thoroughly washed everything with soap & water (even though looked spotless) just to ensure a clean start; rinsed, dried & pieces put into incubator.

Used an old ovulation thermometer to get accurate reading of temp. & to assess difference in bought thermometer... can't believe the battery still has some power in it ! Will get new battery on the way home.

Have successfully set temp at 37.5 degrees Celcius/Centigrade & maintaining humidity at 45%; this is based on another thread in BYP (where many different opinions about levels of humidity are; so I've taken 45% as a starting point for assessing how it goes during this first hatch).

Any other advice? Anything I've missed?

Winglet (I feel like an expectant mum, and the eggs aren't even in there yet !)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:14 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

*cough* I want Foxtel *cough*

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:37 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Mr Winglet wrote:
*cough* I want Foxtel *cough*

:lol: I think your request should be at least considered! After all, you won't be seeing much of Mrs Winglet for a couple of weeks, so you need something to do.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:43 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

Goodluck with the hatch winglet and for the foxtel mr winglet :lol:
you have a fan so that is a huge step up from where i started with my hovabator :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:18 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

If you have correctly set the temperature then remember that you have correctly set the temperature. After you put the eggs in your thermometer will likely show a different reading for a day or two, ignore it because you have correctly set the temperature.

Might sound a strange thing to ask, but do you have the entire thermometer/hygrometer inside the incubator?

The reason I ask is because a common type of thermometer/hygrometer is the indoor/outdoor type. They look like a plastic box with a lead or probe coming out of it.

That lead/probe is the temperature sensor used to measure what the unit will refer to as the "OUTDOOR TEMPERATURE". It does not and can not measure humidity.

There is a humidity sensor inside the plastic case so you need to put the whole plastic case inside your incubator otherwise you are just reading the humidity of the room.

Ignore if it doesn't apply to you Winglet .....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:41 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

Denis wrote:
there is a humidity sensor inside the plastic case so you need to put the whole plastic case inside your incubator otherwise you are just reading the humidity of the room.....

I have one of these, it dosnt work anymore....I think the humidity damaged the electronics inside the gadget.... still reads temp from probe, but nothing else....

Wish I knew bunnings sold hygrometers!!! I bought one from ebay specifically for incubator use... it looks like the gauge on the dash that tells u speed...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:52 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Mr Winglet... you can forget Foxtel if you keep posting in here... feel free to annoy me with that in the Other Interests forum, my dear (he's my husband, for those who don't know). :roll:

wingies... don't encourage him & ditto. :thumbs:

Happyhenz... decided that I need it to be fairly automated for me... otherwise I would be mucking around with it & stuffing up the temperature.

Thanks DenisL... not a strange thing to ask at all, particularly as I'm new to this ! All questions are good questions (as we tell our 10 year old). Yes, the hygrometer is set up inside the 'bator, roughly at the height of the middle of where the eggs will sit when they're in there; in the same location that the seller had it (I PM'd them to ask a few things). It's the indoor type & is a small, round, black thing. I've also set it up so that I can read it without opening the 'bator; even if it's quite dark, I've just been shining my torch through the window of the 'bator to check on it. The seller checked for fluctuations across different spots inside it when she used it, and as there were (essentially) no variations, I'm not going to be opening it & doing the same; I figure that if it was even across the inside for her, then it will be for me, too.

I'm ignoring the temperature on the round, black thermo.; just using that as a rough guide for fluctuations (hopefully none) during incubation, based on it's starting point when the ovulation thermometer is at 37.5. If I spot that moving during incubation (after the initial warming up in the first day or two), then I'll get the ovulation one out to get an accurate reading. I'm taking the ovulation thermo. temp at the centre of where the eggs will sit, too; in one of the central egg-trays, in the middle of the 'bator.

Thanks for the reminder about not touching the thermostat after the eggs go in... especially with 42 eggs to heat up. It helps for Mr Winglet to see that I'm not allowed to touch it, as he'll tell me off if I go near it, now that he knows I'm to leave it alone after the eggs go in.

I think that the humidity in the room it's in is reasonable high; as I hardly needed any water in the central tray at all. The room I chose is the one that has least fluctuation in temperature. Am I better off putting it in a room where the temperature might fluctuate a bit, but the humidity level is more consistent? I'm confident (after 'playing' with it last night over several hours... changing temp. or humidity only & then waiting for a while for it to adjust) that I can keep the humidity at 45% myself where it is, but would like opinions on whether I'm better off moving it. Better now than in the middle of the incubation period !

ritaz1964...the Bunnings one looks like that, too & was $8.95. Doesn't matter to me if the 45% is inaccurate; just matters that it's consistent with what it reads... which, at $8.95 may not be the case, but I'll see how I go with it. I'll be doing the weighing eggs thing to work out if my humidity is 'right'.

Winglet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:11 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

better in a room with no draught and no direct sunlight falling on the incubator...but somewhere where you can check on it without disturbing it. Also somewhere where you can sit comfortably and watch for the slightest egg wobble and first chip of egg! You have your torch? Get one with LED lights, they give off no heat and let u see straight thru the eggs. I got mine from thepetrol station front counter.... great little torch!

If you move it, you will need to monitor the temp again...diff room, diff temp.

Worry more on the temp than the humidity. If your trays have the water in them, its going to be OK.

I understand, I cant help but worry constantly about humidity also..... But the chambers are designed so that enough humidity can be acheived (more or less, hopefully).

As for foxtel, get that too because that way, you can stay awake for longer to check on the baby process!

Soon Foxtel will have a premium 3d channel also, so get a good tv too with a blu ray player! :bolt: :rofl:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:46 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

Don't fuss the humidity at all. Truth is your options are limited in controlling the humidity, i.e two rings, one ring or no rings. Sounds to me like you have deduced that just using the central ring is best. So just run it and top up the central ring when it is dry or nearly so.

I reckon you have already conquered the humidity, done everything you need to do to be successful. Do yourself a favour and take the hygrometers out now.

From here on in if you are worried about humidity the only way to check is by candling the eggs or by weighing them.

You've done so well setting up that I reckon any changes will be for the worse.

The more time you spend watching television and less time watching the incubator the better your hatch rate will be. Honestly, without foxtel, I just don't think your chickens are gonna make it, sorry.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:56 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Denis wrote:
The more time you spend watching television and less time watching the incubator the better your hatch rate will be. Honestly, without foxtel, I just don't think your chickens are gonna make it, sorry.

That's why Mr Winglet needs Foxtel because Winglet will be busy watching her eggs. :rofl:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:10 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Thanks all for your wonderful assistance (aside from the Foxtel comments, obviously).

Will move it to a different location as soon as I get home & monitor the temp. & humidity in the new location after a couple of hours.

If no change, will set the eggs.

If any changes, will adjust & wait another few hours for stability. Once stable, will set the eggs.

Whilst waiting, I'll weigh the eggs.... must go check that other threas on when I'll need to reweigh them & what the percentages 'need' to be... that'll keep me busy tonight inbetween stability checks. :thumbs:

Winglet (I feel all bouncy inside setting eggs !) :bounce:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:50 pm 
Superior Bird
Superior Bird

Different room, different temperature. That's just not correct.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:14 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

Just thought I would remind you....that is of course the incubator that Ranga and Tuesday spent 18 days in.

A few quail also in that one and the rest were all ducks...so bearing that in mind...If the first try isnt as successful as you would like... I would suggest popping in some duck eggs.... :rofl: :rofl: at least you will know it works for them....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:01 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

Denis wrote:
Different room, different temperature. That's just not correct.

I don't understand what you're saying here, Denis. :hmmm:

I don't expect that the temp. in the incubator will alter (seeing as the thermostat has already been set) if the humidity remains the same... if the relative humidity alters, then I want to be sure that the temp. isn't being affected.

I've moved it because I think the fluctuations in the 'outdoor' (room) temp. & humidity will be less where I have it now than where I had it before... this should mean less chance of sudden changes in the 'bator's operation.

So far all my testing is going hunky-dory, and I expect to put the eggs in later tonight. Knowing that I'm not to alter anything once I put the eggs in, I'd rather triple-check things before I set them than worry that I didn't check the temp. enough before I set them.

Winglet (besides, it's right next to me now... so I don't have to worry about it where it is now; Where it was I'd be getting up every 5 minutes to sticky-beak)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:13 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

what I meant Denis is that in a room with less draught and no sunlight falling on incubator, the temperature inside could be different.... its foam, not refrigerated panels...there is heat transference, loss and gain....