Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Is this Polish a hen or rooster,please?

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:15 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:12 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I sold this chicken as a pullet, but the owners sent me this pic tonight - is this a rooster,please? Or can Polish hens have horns as well?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:15 pm 
Golden Brush Turkey
Golden Brush Turkey

polish hens can have horns too, they are just not as big as teh roos ones. how old is the pullet supposed to be?

its hard to see because the crest is beign held back, but the crest shape and feather shape in the crest can help with sexing.

females should have a round globular crest, and teh feathers in the crest will be rounded on the end.

males tend toh ave swept back crests, and the featheres in the crest have a pointed end.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:25 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks for that. She is 5 months old, and I sold her as a pullet because she had the rounded crest. I was 100% certain that she was a girl, and if the girls can have horns then I am still hoping that she is a she! I will send the owners an e mail and ask for a picture with full crest and get back to you.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:11 am 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

This is the picture I was sent last night - looks like a pullet to me - what do you think?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:19 pm 
Assist Admin
Assist Admin

INDEX noted. :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:14 pm 
Golden Brush Turkey
Golden Brush Turkey

looks like a girl to me. males have large prominent combs, and hers is not prominent in her crest, and the crest is globular, and the feathers are round ended.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:50 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Thanks for that, I was able toput the ladies mind at ease - think she thought that the hen had developed some awful tumours or at the very least was a rooster!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:55 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

So glad I just saw this thread. I was about out go out and take some photos of my polish. I have 3, know the sex of two but one I was unsure of. I will go and have a look at the feather ends. If I still am unsure- chickles do you mind if I post a photo on here so we can keep Polish sexing on the one thread?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:15 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

No problems at all! :biggrin:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:30 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

OK..So here they are. Sorry for the quality of the photos. My daughter was on the phone..and I didnt want to disturb her to help with the photos. They are only about 9 weeks old now - so may still be too early to tell for sure. I can get better photos if needed.
First- I think this is a pullet

This is the one I think is a cockerel.

And this is the one I am not sure about. I am thinking most likely a cockerel - as it has the wattles growing- but its crest is more like the one I think is female.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:43 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

ehehehehehehee :rofl: god they are funny looking little birds (not funny as in weird) funny as in get a giggle every time i see them. I can't help you taylor but they sure are healthy looking, and its nice to learn info on other breeds (that is why i am reading the thread). Chickies yours is nice to :D.

Lockit
xo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:50 pm 
Golden Brush Turkey
Golden Brush Turkey

the top one has a beard and a muff, which retards the development of wattles, so it is still possible that the bottom one is a girl(that's if you were comparing them by wattle shape at same age). what shape are the ends of the feathers in the crest, its hard to see but they look rounded?

the middle one does look like a cockerel.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:56 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

strange answering this, as I was the one who asked originally for the sex of the bird, but I could swear the last one is a girl, have a look at the picture of mine, she also has wattles! But your white girl(no.3 pic),has a beautiful rounded crest, and on the subjest I would say No 1 is too, but could be wrong, and for number 2 well,someone else may have to help you. Must say that I LOVE number 3, she's a nice looking polish, as are the others, but she is my favourite! If you want to see some really lovely Polish,go to the Crested Breeds Club page on Facebook, Peter Jones is the President and his birds are stunning!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:02 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

To be honest ...the ends of the feathers all look the same on all three birds to me- rounded. :? But I was thinking you meant the feathers in the crest.. Did you mean feathers somewhere else?? I really am chook illiterate..But wanting to learn. :)

Thanks Chickles :thumbs: I hope you are right.. Two girls would be lovely - as I can only keep the females here.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:09 pm 
Golden Brush Turkey
Golden Brush Turkey

yes i DO mean the feathers in the crest, have a look at feathersite http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/ ... olish.html it gives labelled pictures of male and females and you should be able to see.

here is a picture from teh feathersite of a male look at the pointed feathers in his crest

and here is one of a female

its worth having a cruise around that great resource.