Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - Making Other Chook Items

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:04 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Making Other Chook Items
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:22 am 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Making Other Chook Items

This Post is mostly a series of links to threads on the listed topics

Broody Coop Design
viewtopic.php?t=6413
Hear is a link to a really neat design made from an old pallet! http://www.pekinbantams.com/broody_coop_1.asp

Brooders
Here are some photos of my Plastic Tub Brooder with attached indoor 'run'. The brooder is in the shed and the heat is regulated using a dimmer switch.
More Brooder pictures:
viewtopic.php?t=6869

Cold Brooders
The cold brooder is an alternative method of brooding which can be used for small numbers of chickens. It is particularly useful where access to power is limited, is easy to make, and is ideal for chickens that have been started under a lamp. After 2 days the chickens will have started to eat and drink and will then take to the cold brooder readily. The cold brooder conserves the body heat of the chickens and keeps them warm. A brooder suitable for up to 50 two-day-old chickens consists of a frame 100 mm deep, 750 mm long and 600 mm wide. The bottom of the frame is covered with wire mesh and can be set above the litter on adjustable legs. The bottom of the brooder should be 80 mm above the litter when the chickens are started, and should be raised gradually as they grow.
Strips of hessian or plastic 50 mm wide and 80 mm long can be hung from the bottom edge of the frame to act as curtains. The curtains help to retain the body heat while allowing the chickens to wander in and out.
The mesh on the frame can be covered with hessian and overlaid with a 100 mm layer of rice hulls, wood shavings or straw. A second layer of hessian placed on top will prevent the chickens from scratching the litter material out of the frame. In this way the brooder is covered with a porous material which will retain the body heat but will allow air to pass through. The cold brooder can be set up in a surround in a manner similar to the heat lamp. However, for the first 2 days the chickens need to be confined close to the brooder. The chickens should be introduced to the brooder in the evening and confined under the brooder for the first night. This can be done by placing strips of hardboard over the curtains on three sides and wire mesh over the front curtain. This will keep the chicks warm while allowing air to pass through the brooder. The wire mesh can be removed after the first night; however, it may be necessary to use the hardboard strips for a few nights during cold weather.

The chickens in a cold brooder need more attention during the first few days, but these brooders are simple to make and are very effective.
Quote from Looloo's Sticky: viewtopic.php?t=2131
Another cold brooder link:
viewto ... ?t=7955683

Disposeable Carry Case
viewtopic.php?t=6537

Rooster Night Housing
viewtopic.php?t=6738
viewtopic.php?t=5872

Housing Breeding Roosters
viewtopic.php?t=4335

NellyG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:22 am 
Wow, thanks for that. Gave me heaps of ideas. I will be coming back here to check and take other brooder box ideas. I might even just use this one,,, thanks :biggrin:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:15 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Great info on the cold brooder Nelly! I find them really useful, here in sunny SE QLD they don't have to be very elaborate. I use cardboard boxes...for up to around 20 chicks I use a 6 wine bottle carton, just lay it on its side, tape the lid shut then cut about half of the taped lid away. A few slots for ventilation in the back, wood shavings on the floor and into the (unheated) brooder surround. :biggrin: .
The first few nights I have to herd the chicks back until they realise where to sleep, but that's part of the fun :wink: .
As the chicks grow they move into bigger boxes, I just try to make sure the roof of the box isn't too far above their heads or their heat dissipates. The only other trouble is they use the roof as a launch pad for the outside world if you don't have high sides or a wire lid :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:31 am 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

Using a mop as a mother hen....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:49 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

I have used a feather duster as a mother hen but i think the mop looks better!