Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - My Gander is in love with my partner!!

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:08 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:53 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

It only started a few days ago my gander has started to get very protective of his goose which i thought was cute but yesterday and now this morning my partner mr.holland was squatting to pick up some stuff to put in the compost bin and Loki (the gander) started to vibrate and shake and do this little dance this then all of a sudden jumped on his back and was trying to mate him :rofl: . Then again today whilst feeding the chickens he leant over to get something and jumped straight up on his back grip the back of his neck and proceeded to mate my partner again we tried to get him of but by god they can hang on O_O it was so hilarious but not?? I wonder has he imprinted or is this a dominance thing? He has a girl that he can mate with if he wanted he just all of a sudden has an interest in my boyfriend >.<.

Lockit
xo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:44 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Lockit,

I have had the same issue with my Drake Dave. He stalks me. He can see me in the window of the house and comes running. When I go out the back door he runs up the paddock or flies up.

I have had to be very strick with him as he flew onto my back, bites my legs and has even grabbed my hair and hung on.

He is better now as he has learnt the word no and if that does not work he hates the big blue broom. Ithink now that he has been working for about 6months he is better behaved and less horny for me and more horny for his girls.

Here is a thread about it from a while ago

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7996768&start=0&hilit=dave

Cheers
Shayne

Double Lace Gold and Blue Laced Barnevelders, Large BLS. Gold. BLG and SL Wyandottes, Pekins in many colours, 3 Rabbit, 2 Horses, a cat, fish, a Llama, a Alpaca, a Kelpie, a Maremma and a patient husband
http://shoalhavenpoultry.com.au/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:01 pm 
Golden Swan
Golden Swan

Thanks for that link, shayne. I remembered the thread but couldn't find it. I will now put a link to it in the Duck and Goose Index's so it can be easily found as there is good information in there!

NellyG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:20 pm 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

So is it the same principle as a duck?? I thought geese only chose one mate very rarely more than that! He doesn't really follow mr.holland around like those ducks do he just does it when the right opportunity arises. I wonder why he chose my boyfriend??? I haven't seen him mate his goose yet but hopefully they will. I love our geese they are my favorite out of all our poultry.

Lockit
xo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:31 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

I found that Dave was very confused on who he should be jumping on and how at the beginning but now that he has gone through a breeding season he is much more relaxed and spends more time with the girls than hanging out in the parking area waiting for me or at the back door. The only time how he is really bad is when all the girls are broody so then the broom is my defence.

Maybe your Gander will also calm down once he works out what to do with his girl.

Double Lace Gold and Blue Laced Barnevelders, Large BLS. Gold. BLG and SL Wyandottes, Pekins in many colours, 3 Rabbit, 2 Horses, a cat, fish, a Llama, a Alpaca, a Kelpie, a Maremma and a patient husband
http://shoalhavenpoultry.com.au/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:34 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

ooooh, thank you so much for this, the visual in my head is pee-your-pants hilarious!

I really needed a good laugh. One of my geese is starting to get quite HISSY at everyone!

When is breeding season? I thought it was a ways off yet... but I swear my goose is mating with one of my ducks. My drakes mate with eachother (confused or desperate?).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:53 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

yOUTUBE!! :P

:bolt:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:15 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I...was...VIOLATED!! by a goose! haha damn little s*** I was getting some compost out of my bin to make up some potting mix and he wouldn't leave me alone and then again today. Our poor girl goose hope shes not getting a complex. and it was embarrassing enough without it being on youtube thanks chookster lol.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:50 pm 
Old Mother Goose
Old Mother Goose

you could see if you get more ratings and votes than the dude who got shagged by the rare parrot ;P

PS i have been there with a drake on my head before so I know.... been chased down road by same drake who escaped and came after me and was hanging off my leg on side of road with traffix slowing down and damn cameras in phones...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:40 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

This fellow used to do this often- he always loved being cuddled on my shoulder as a baby - but as an adult it was not so cute.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:27 pm 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Our gander used to love our old green commodore, ignored his lady completly until we got rid of the car. he could see his reflection in the bumper bar. :roll: My geese are also getting hissy, I'm thinking early breeding season this year to be honest.
Rita, ducks aren't worried about boys or girls when it comes to mating, if you are finding it happening often you might need to remove the offender, I found that one of my males was relentless and mated everything concentrating on a poor male runner, in the end I had to get rid of the offender and thinned out the rest of the males to avoid it happening again.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:48 pm 
Flock Master
Flock Master

when is the breeding season normally for ducks and for geese? Im all new to this..cant wait!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:06 am 
Gallant Game
Gallant Game

I thought it would be around spring but i might be way off!!

Lockit
xo

P.S he still thinks mr.holland is great!! ROFLMAO

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:38 am 
Clever Cockerel
Clever Cockerel

Spring is right, it was spring babies for me last year anyway but I do have a friend who's farmyard geese are laying and sitting now.