Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - built an incubator

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:44 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: built an incubator
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:44 am 

i built an incubator and i made it out of a stryfoam casing and i i cut a hole in the top of one peice for the light(25 watt) and then put a cake pan for the water and mesh to hold the eggs..i have a thermometer but no regulator or humidity thermometer...so what i am wondering is if it will work and will i need a regulator..and is there a way to tell the humidity without th theremometer...any help would be great...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:38 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

i built my own incubator as well...ive had 2 sets of eggs in it so far the 1st lot died halfway threw*my btoehr wonderd wot happend if he turned the light all the way up* and the other eggs werent fertile... i made mien out of a sterofoam easky thingy that fish get deliverd in to pet shops(or ur chrisco hamper cooler thingy ma jib) and and i cute a hole in the side and fitted a healt lamp with a dimmer then i pulled aprt and old crappy photo fram and took the glass then fitted it in the top i got and old drainking bord thingy ma jib and used that as a rack im still fiddleing with waster dispensers and im hunting for a hygrometer...

One bite at a time , or you will get a sore belly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:20 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

Hi I have also just built a styrofoam incubator, I am now playing around with my light bulbs now to get the right temp of 37.5 C. I think I am just about there....

I went out to the hens house to collect eggs to set tonight if all goes well and my silkie hens seems to be sitting on them, not sure if she is laying at this time or brooding time will tell...

good luck everyone and let me know how you all got on...we are in the same boat here... I'll post anything more i learn on the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:27 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

It all sounds good

Be aware that the correct temperature for the eggs is 37.7 C. If the eggs are too hot or too cold it will effect the viability and hatching of the embryo and the hatching chicken.

I mention this because there is a difference in the temperature in a "still air" incubator between the heat source and the temperature of the centre of the egg.

Incubators come in two types (totally disregarding the source of the heat) and they are the "forced fan" type which circulates the warmed air evenly around the incubator and then, those without a fan which are called "still air" which relies on radiated heat to reach around the eggs.

Regardless of which type you have you require the centre of the egg to be 37.7 C. Often (but not always) setting the temperature on top of the eggs one degree higher will ensure an egg core temperature of 37.7 C.

Good Luck
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:51 pm 
Prime Pekin
Prime Pekin

In all HONEST to try and maintain constant temperature without a thermostat is very difficult,and I am sure Mike will agree. The biggest hurdle is changing ambient temperature. You might get the heat source setup during the day to be close, but at night it will drop down below. I certainly do not want to curb anyones enthusiasm ,but to fail will not give confidence. You can probably get away with a lot of make shift gear when incubating but a good thermostat or at least a reostat are required.It is very easy to make a wet bulb thermometer from your normal one. I think it is great to have a go and will gladly help anyone with their projects as I am sure Mike will .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:17 pm 
Golden Robin
Golden Robin

Thanks Martin

I must have been too subtle :lol:
Ebay and lots of electronic (jaycar etc) shops have temperature controllers and temperature controlling kits. The trouble with even a reostat is that with the lamp on constantly the temperature will continue to rise. Particularly in the second week when the eggs themselves begin to produce heat. You need a temperature controlling device.

You should PM denis and see if there is anything he would recommend as he is an electronics person, I am just a farmer.

Additionally there are lots of combined temperature and humidity meters on ebay and in the electronic stores.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:15 pm 
Showy Hen
Showy Hen

I have kept the styrofoam "incubator" ...
.........( i use the word incubator loosely here) at a temp of 38`C for the day I am using two Thermometers to check the temp. I need to check what the temp is tonight, and if all goes well I will set some eggs tomorrow.

GO DIY! LOL

PS:keep checking the main board, Mario is going to show step by step on how to build his style of incubator + pictures well worth a look.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:31 pm 
Fiesty Fowl
Fiesty Fowl

i told my story aboutmy uncubator over a year ago Wed Aug 23, 2006

lol since then ive had several sucessful hatches of chicken and quail...i even retired that incubator (chucked most of it in the bin) but durring the week bellsouth will be receiving my order for a bellsouth 100